Need help for wheelie skills

Sum

Hi all,

I have been practicing skills for controlled wheelie for many months with my GasGas TXT and developed two types of the approaches;

1: Gas and clutch meet simultaneously. With a body action, I can lift the front wheel 

2: Rev the engine first (flywheel preload?). Closing the gas and clutch meet simultaneously.

#2 is more difficult because of more things to control; the amount of rev and the timing of the clutch meet, which have to get synchronized with the body action. I can get a good result only once in three or four tries.

However, once the wheel is up, I feel it's more controllable. In the #1 approach, the front wheel rises with acceleration while in the #2 way, the front wheel stops naturally at the lifted position, giving me much more time for control the situation. 

Another thing I found is I need almost no gas for the #2 way and, thus, it gives me more traction. Actually, in a slippery slope, #2 is the only way to lift the wheel.

Now, practicing #1 and #2 make me easily confused and I want to focus on one of the ways, if appropriate.

I have been looking around the internet but haven't found much information about these two approaches. Youtube videos by Rich Larsen touched on the #2 approach several times. So, I guess #2 is a legitimate approach.

I would appreciate any helps, suggestions, or advises about these two different approaches.

I especially want to know which one is the way I should focus on.

Thanks!

As for the second way, to just wheelie for a hundred yards or so.  It is easy on a MX bike, as they have sufficient power in 2nd 3rd and 4th, maybe 5th, in a six speed model.   You only need to be in a sufficiently high gear to be able to throw it down the track, on the rear wheel.   Just opening the throttle with a slight pull on the bars, to get the bars at chest level.   Trials bikes are easy to wheelie on slightly uphill ground.  it's not often you need to wheelie downhill, unless you need to clear an obstacle.

As for clearing obstacles, I seldom use the clutch, unless it is from a standstill.

I also find Jan's explanations easier  to understand / absorb but the methods given by "SUN" are more for popping the wheel over close up opticals.

The younglings at our  club can do all sorts of wheelies (wheelings in France) but they are generally to show off and practice balance.