Cota 200 starting directions

cotomoto

I recently purchased a Cota 200 and am able to get it started but I had some general questions regarding the carb and the decompression lever.   There is a lever that moves either up or down located on the carb.   What position should this be in when starting?   What is this lever for?   Also,  when it is running and I move the decompression lever it stops the engine.  Will the engine start with the decompression lever on?   what is the purpose of this lever.   thanks for any help you can offer.   I think the carb needs rebuilt.

The lever on the carb is the choke. If I remember right you push it down to start and then push it back up to turn off the choke. The pilot jet would plug quite easily on this carb. It is a great handling little bike. Have fun.

7 hours ago, cotomoto said:

I recently purchased a Cota 200 and am able to get it started but I had some general questions regarding the carb and the decompression lever.   There is a lever that moves either up or down located on the carb.   What position should this be in when starting?   What is this lever for?   Also,  when it is running and I move the decompression lever it stops the engine.  Will the engine start with the decompression lever on?   what is the purpose of this lever.   thanks for any help you can offer.   I think the carb needs rebuilt.

Have you used a carb’d bike before?

You only use the choke lever to enrich the fuel mix to aid starting from cold.

You should see a plunger on the other end going into the carb - whichever is pulling it out from the carb ‘should’ be choking. Choke causes a high idle but relatively poor running if you leave it on - you only use it to start the engine from cold.

Once the engine is started and warm, slowly drop the lever halfway for a minute, and then drop completely.

If the engine cuts out even when warm, or the engine is hunting, be sure to check your idle and air-fuel adjustments.

Carbs need cleaning periodically.

Did you look up what a decompression lever does?

http://86.43.94.97/moodlecp9a/mod/resource/view.php?id=168

Lots of bikes have them, but you can read the above link or the below post about a different bike. Principle is the same. You only use the decomp lever to aid starting.

Have you been shown correct technique on starting? It will be like the XR or any other bike. Slowly push the kickstart to highest point of compression (top dead centre). Then one smooth fast kick.

FB8A90C8-F417-4414-9571-98FE73A25F8B.png

Edited by Nishijin