GB round of 2021 WTC cancelled

portman

Information released on Thursday by ACU

"It is with regret that the ACU have to announce that the British Round of the FIM Trial GP scheduled for 9/10th October in Tong, will not now take place. An unfortunate combination of circumstances have led to this decision, but it is hoped that 2022 will allow for a round to be run once again."

I wonder what the "unfortunate combination of circumstances" might have been?  Is Covid still having an impact? In my opinion the wording used does not come across as very professional as one would expect there are plans B, C etc to cope with unexpected eventualities.

Strangely the event still appears on the FIM trials calendar web site.

• Sad 1

running a very large event, like this, is a hugh financial gamble.

as many poeple have commented on hrere, over the eyars, the crowd at a UK round is only marginal - ie just enough to cover costs

given the risks we could go into some form of lockdown 4 as kids go back to school, etc its best to cancel before any costs are spent.

also while i know riders in others sport (mx, enduro, etc) have travelled over here and us over there (on the professional sport exemption) the lack of foreign specttors could be an issue?

you've also still got to get local authority sign off on your event, including your covid measures, they (LA) could be creating issues (extra costs, labour, etc)

It is a combination of things I'm sure. Covid cases are increasing daily, yesterday was 35,000 new cases and 149 deaths. I dont know what the quarrantine restrictions are for riders returning to Spain for example.

If ticket sales dont cover the FIM costs..... well would you dip into your own pocket?

As much as anything the British lads that compete need a British round never mind anything else.

very disappointing

• Like 1

reading today's TMX, they say there are issue at the venue that some of hte sections have been demolished by operations at the site and/or affected by the lots of enduros run there. Nord Vue is out because of quarry work and new holiday cottages. But the editorial (by Sutty) makes the same inferences i've made above.

6 hours ago, leosantanalg said:

Bunch of garbage!! full of excuses. Local government authorities imposing non sense restrictions and the govern body of the sport doing a ****ty job as usual. Trials has a lot to learn from MX and enduro industries, Yet, They think they know better. 

We're obliged here in the UK to hold a "SAG" meeting with the local authroity when we run a large event (with spectators) to ensure everything is in place and being done properly.

As to the role of the governing body, while i am not on the committee that looks after trials (i do other things within the ACU) i personally don't think its the governing bodies role to put on (themselves, at a loss) events. why should they spend all members money on a handfull of top ("pro" is a mute point) riders? i think there are many other things, which i think are more important, to spend our money on. the job of putting on the event is a commercial one that is down to a promoter (be they a business or a club). there are broader questions (for the FIM trials commission) about how comes their top event is unviable in the what second bigest trials market in the world?

i and my club put on lots of trials, but also enduro and mx (we run a round of the british mx championship, thats some serious money) i'm not sure what transferable skills/ideas from them to trial we could/should be doing. the only point could be there was a "promotoer" of the world series (G2F) but that ended prematurley (another can of worms i presume)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

Take them to Scotland and let the TrialGP circus have a run around Ben Nevis at Fort William

Was 2011 the last time a World Round was there? I don't see the organizers of that event stepping forward to do it again?

Trials riders know the value of a penny never mind a pound. Tong wasn't the best location by any stretch. For me it needs to go back to a venue like Pately Bridge , Bainbridge or Morlais Quarry. What about Back Cowm ? 

I'd really like to see a world round that was different to the others, some mud would be good.

I have just cancelled my hotel booking for the event.  For me it was a tough decision to go because it is a long long drive up and so half the weekend is in the car not watching the riders.  To build on @baldilocks point why not have the event in the South?  (I know, I know - howls of protest from the northerners - sorry chaps)  The advantage of the higher population density and larger number of people potentially interested is worth a debate.  I think perhaps there are more people as a percentage interested in trials in the more northern parts of the country, but more numerically in the south.  If the issue is getting a return on the time and investment for the organisers then does the south not make more sense?

The UK now has no GP and no X-Trial. 

The world trial at Cahors was an indoor in effect with 8 man made sections. We can criticise this but with riding in streams banned in many countries it sadly may be the future.

Once you get local authorities involved environmental issues will be more of an obstacle. Local trials are under the radar but once you need Local Authority permission for traffic and spectators it gets more difficult.

20 hours ago, baldilocks said:

The world trial at Cahors was an indoor in effect with 8 man made sections. We can criticise this but with riding in streams banned in many countries it sadly may be the future.

Once you get local authorities involved environmental issues will be more of an obstacle. Local trials are under the radar but once you need Local Authority permission for traffic and spectators it gets more difficult.

To me, if I am honest, that cuts both ways.  Sure the 'traditional' outdoor is a better event (and surely there is a way round the possible contamination of waterways issue?) but bringing things into an indoor stadium with artificial obstacles increases the potential venues.

Either there are enough people here in the UK that would pay to see it or there are not.  I can't decide.  I would pay but that doesn't tell you anything much - only about me.

49 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

To me, if I am honest, that cuts both ways.  Sure the 'traditional' outdoor is a better event (and surely there is a way round the possible contamination of waterways issue?) but bringing things into an indoor stadium with artificial obstacles increases the potential venues.

Either there are enough people here in the UK that would pay to see it or there are not.  I can't decide.  I would pay but that doesn't tell you anything much - only about me.

I "might" to to an outdoor/traditional round, definitely not a stadium.  Maybe an age thing .....

23 hours ago, b40rt said:

I "might" to to an outdoor/traditional round, definitely not a stadium.  Maybe an age thing .....

I doubt age is the issue, more what a person's interests are.  I like the X-Trial and would go to see it if the venue was near enough, but I would happily go watch the "traditional" trial as well.  X-Trial is designed to be entertaining and a spectacle.  I am sure most that watch it do not ride.  What I cannot understand is why X-Trial is so popular elsewhere and not UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a horrible situation and the organizers feel worse than any fans but there comes a point where an event is unworkable. The smart thing to do is cut your losses and prepare for better days. Recriminations, name calling and assertions that there is less than heartbreak on the part of organizers doesn’t help. If you’ve got a better idea step up. If you have access to a better venue by all means offer it up. If you have sponsors willing to put up money to cover expenses, excellent. If you have access to a crew of observers, section designers, promotions people, lawyers, ambulance services, porta pottys, stone drills, wrist bands, loop markers, fax machines and computers for press, hotel rooms for FIM officials, portable office trailers, food vendors, ticket sales staff, security, program printers, trophy makers and the thousand other details that are needed on short time without the budget please use your internet access to reach out to the event organizers. That’s what they need to hear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 8:55 AM, ChrisCH said:

I doubt age is the issue, more what a person's interests are.  I like the X-Trial and would go to see it if the venue was near enough, but I would happily go watch the "traditional" trial as well.  X-Trial is designed to be entertaining and a spectacle.  I am sure most that watch it do not ride.  What I cannot understand is why X-Trial is so popular elsewhere and not UK.

I just don't think Trials is entertaining enough for the general public. Lets face it, unless you are a total enthusiast then trials gets rather boring after the first half hour of watching it. Unfortunately its just one of those sports, and it's an off road motor sport at that, which is not popular to the wider audience, especially these days with all the environmental issues.

We recently ran a local trials event at a small piece of rural land in the middle of nowhere. The vans were spotted in the field and some local residents made a big scene, plus posting on local media that there was an illegal MX event happening in the area. The land owner got so much abuse he reluctantly cancelled the next scheduled events. 

So, no I'm not surprised at all that trials is not popular here in the UK so attempting to run a world event which boasts huge coasts and tons of planning and logistics to mainly satisfy the minority enthusiasts makes no sense. Its a shame really, because I was looking forward to it, as I do every year since the early 80's.   

The fact that world trials has become so elitist doesn't help matters either. Only a very small minority (mainly the up coming young guns) can relate to what these top riders are able to do. Maybe there should be just an elitist limited world series and the rest of the time the top riders get invited to lower key events mixing with the "normal" riders.? 

• Like 1