Moving from mont 4rt to gasgas

gaz12349

Hi. I've got my 05 4rt up for sale as looking to move to a GasGas (wish id bought one instead of the 4rt) ideally i'd like the 2013/2014 250 raga rep as I like the suspension upgrades. Anything I should look out for before buying? Any common faults etc. Also what model/year would you experienced gasgas owners/riders say is the best and why?

Cheers.

Although a relatively easy fix, check that the clutch doesn't excessively drag or slip. And if it has mag cases check they aren't cracked at the bottom engine mounting. Maybe a test ride and make sure it gets all the gears but don't be alarmed with a clunk between 4th and 5th. Also check the petrol tank isn't leaking where the tap is fitted. After that, just the usual stuff. From 2011 till now you won't find much difference between how they ride. The techs are a slight improvement over the marzocchis, not much, although the early tech gold coating wore very quickly and looks a little unsightly

Edited by faussy

On 8/26/2021 at 12:01 PM, faussy said:

Although a relatively easy fix, check that the clutch doesn't excessively drag or slip. And if it has mag cases check they aren't cracked at the bottom engine mounting. Maybe a test ride and make sure it gets all the gears but don't be alarmed with a clunk between 4th and 5th. Also check the petrol tank isn't leaking where the tap is fitted. After that, just the usual stuff. From 2011 till now you won't find much difference between how they ride. The techs are a slight improvement over the marzocchis, not much, although the early tech gold coating wore very quickly and looks a little unsightly

Thanks for the response. Regarding the clutch, would that be a case of worn clutch plates?

On 8/28/2021 at 4:11 PM, gaz12349 said:

Thanks for the response. Regarding the clutch, would that be a case of worn clutch plates?

GG clutches have a tendency to swell over time, so if not in spec they are more than likely draggy. A clutch that slips would be an indicator of worn plates. 

Edited by faussy