What can you use where?

NoTraction

Hello,

I’m just looking for some direction if anyone can help.

I’ve had bikes all my life, I’m 53 now and looking to get into trials. I had a TY175 many moons ago but have never ridden competitively. My only recent trials riding experience was at a ‘trials experience’ day in Wales recently where was given a competition spec (apparently) Gas Gas 300 to play with and it was far too much for me! I eventually launched it through a fence after accidentally grabbing the throttle over a log……! Clearly something lower powered would be in order for now…

So I’m torn between buying a lower powered older ‘modern’ bike or an even older twin shock, the modern bike seeming the logical choice for a beginner wanting to become competent but the older bikes TY175, Fantic 200 etc appeal more to me generally as I like old bikes!

My question is though, can you ride any bike anywhere, ie if I buy a twin shock bike do I need to find specific twin shock clubs or competitions and vice versa? Or can you enter any competition on any bike? As a total newbie to the sport and am trying to get an understanding on how it works. Would be grateful for any advice or info,

Thanks

Our club generally has a mix of old and new at most meetings.  I don't think having a new or old bike would really restrict you much in terms of getting a ride.

If you like fixing bikes, hunting auto jumbles for parts and machining up components you cannot buy any more than by all means get into older stuff.  My dad was a mechanic and would have enjoyed all that stuff.  I know people that do.  If you want to ride, buy a new bike.

My missus put her Beta through a fence when first learning.  My TRS spat me off the back when I first bought it.  Both those bikes have a device on the right hand side of the bars that you need to learn to control a bit better 😎

There's a bloke at our club who is 70 odd and new to the sport.  I don't think age is much to do with anything.

Buy what will give you the most fun.  If you like fixing stuff fair play - buy something that will need frequent fixing.  From my limited recent experience with trials and having had bikes in general for nearly 50 years I would go for something like the TRS 250 One or the Beta Evo 250 as a start point.  I don't get the 125cc thing - they will scare you if you rev them hard enough same as the 250s.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

If you like fixing bikes, hunting auto jumbles for parts and machining up components you cannot buy any more than by all means get into older stuff.  My dad was a mechanic and would have enjoyed all that stuff.  I know people that do.  If you want to ride, buy a new bike. 

Not 100% accurate, unless you buy something really obscure, parts are easily found. Many of the twin shocks are as reliable, possibility moreso,  than some modern bikes.

Look through the current topics, virtually all modern "reliable " bikes 😎

• Like 1

Fantic 200 is the best option for a beginner in classic riding. 

A TY mono was and is the best clubman trials bike if you like air cooled monshocks. 

It is simply up to you what to choose and Yes! the TY twonshock or a SWM are nice to have too, but a bit heavier.

In modern trials riding the electric bikes are in a clubman level also not only nice to ride but too nice to have, so little maintaince and the power output is great then again so different... it will spoil any gasoline driven bike, any!

Edited by pschrauber
Interpunktion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some notes on this, from someone who is not a very good rider ... I started on a Gasgas TXTPro 125, which was a cracking bike and very reliable for the year I had it (I only had to service it, and sold it in the same condition I bought it).  Then I got the itch for a twinshock and got a TY175.  Then I spent a LOT of time and money to get the TY to ride somewhat nicely and not weigh quite so much.

Now I have a 1999 Sherco 250 "modern" bike that was well kept by previous owners, and it's just lovely to ride.  It's road registered and was very cheap.  I've spent about 6 hours on it this weekend, meanwhile I need to get around to an engine rebuild on the TY and getting the wheels rebuilt, and other things.

I love the TY, but I ride the Sherco.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

Some notes on this, from someone who is not a very good rider ... I started on a Gasgas TXTPro 125, which was a cracking bike and very reliable for the year I had it (I only had to service it, and sold it in the same condition I bought it).  Then I got the itch for a twinshock and got a TY175.  Then I spent a LOT of time and money to get the TY to ride somewhat nicely and not weigh quite so much.

Now I have a 1999 Sherco 250 "modern" bike that was well kept by previous owners, and it's just lovely to ride.  It's road registered and was very cheap.  I've spent about 6 hours on it this weekend, meanwhile I need to get around to an engine rebuild on the TY and getting the wheels rebuilt, and other things.

I love the TY, but I ride the Sherco.

A very valid point, thanks. It may be prudent to get something nicely rideable ‘out of the box’ and keep an eye out for a classic project. Mostly what I see are Beta Revs in my price range to get started. People seem to say good things about them.

UK bike prices have gone bonkers past lockdown.  Whatever you look at will be much more than it was two years ago.  I am seeing Rev3 on eBay at prices that are quite hard to understand if I am honest.  Good as they are they are still old bikes that someone else will have beaten the crap out of over many years.

I had to try not to think about it too much as I put the PIN in when I paid for the TRS, but to be fair it was a better purchase than the missus' Evo in terms of what work has been needed. If it is at all possible I would look round for a newer bike and grit your teeth and just accept that is the price.

Thanks Chris 

I’m seeing prices for 13-15 year old bikes at around the £15-1800 mark. What sort of prices were they going for before the madness started and everything went bonkers? Just trying to get some sort of perspective. Can’t believe the prices of old TY’s they were cheap as chips a few years back…

When I first started looking you could get a decent Rev 3 for a grand.  We traded ours in for £750 (2006 model) against the Evo (2104 £2300).  The old Rev would now fetch the 15 hundred you quote and the Evo is probably now worth more than we paid for it three years ago.

I bought the TRS for £3600 (2017) and it too is probably the same sort of money now from a dealer.  (Bought from Lee & Sons)

Personally I would cough a bit at paying nearly two grand for a 10 plus year old bike unless it was one of the "collectable" twin shocks.  They too seem to be bonkers money now.

As you say things were well cheap a few years back - I remember that too.  So far on the TRS I have spend £25 for a wheel bearing replacement and that's it bar consumables.  The carb has been off a few times and was mis-seated last time so the float bowl is wearing away and I have bought a new one for next time it is off, but that is hardly the bike's fault.  The brakes are fantastic and lock the wheels up with the lightest touch, the clutch is easy and smooth and the power is not overwhelming for my very meagre talents.  I have little doubt that other brands are as good.  It was more than I wanted to spend but cannot say I regret it at all now.

Hi Hughie - having also ridden on/off for many years but never enough (& def not terribly good!!). Here’s my shout if you just want (say) a blast or two a month and don’t want a new bike and are returning after a massive break from the wonderful TY175. And in no particular order (given the brief you have given and not going off into Gas Gas versus Beta etc)…

1. TY175 is still brilliant. If that’s what you rode and now only want to ride the easy class then it will be great. But try and find a good one and with basic mods (electronic ignition is a good one) will help. £1800 max will leave some money for bits & bobs. Parts are really easy get hold of and it’s a doddle to get them looking good.

2. Never had a Fantic 200 but they were always good and parts seem pretty available.

3. Don’t write off a Beamish Suzuki if you can get a good price (they do exist around £2,500 if you look). A bit heavy but are very forgiving and reliable.

4. TY250 Mono was the first bike I came back to after about a 10 year break (kids/work) a few years ago. That was from a TY175 beforehand. Loved it and seriously easy to ride.

5. Montesa 315R - I had three from 2000-2004. So good and well engineered. Prices going up now but £2,000 should get you a half decent one. 

Hope this is helpful per brief. I have owned all but 2) and has no problems. Not the same to be said from my older Spanish bikes!!

nb. Non biking mates who see my bikes in the garage look at my TY175 with much more interest than any of my new bikes!!!

• Like 1