What can you use where?

NoTraction

Hi rr62,

Thanks for the run down, that’s really helpful.

The only TY175’s I’m seeing at present seem to be well over £2k which seems a bit steep but that’s probably me remembering what they used to cost! Seems to be a sellers market on older trials bikes generally (assuming they are actually selling for what they’re asking). I’m trying to keep an open mind as I’m not seeing a lot for sale that looks like decent value either in older modern or twin shock bikes - and I don’t want to pay the through the nose if I can avoid it.

I think I would be happy with either of the TY’s, or any of the bikes you mention, or maybe even a Beta 200 if one comes up at a decent price. Not classic, I know, but I read good things about them from a rideability perspective. 

I do really like the look of the Montesa 315……are they reliable/parts available?

Thanks Hughie. Never had a Beta but know the 200 is a great clubman bike.

315 Montesa is a brilliant bike - Honda engine so very reliable and pretty good on parts. Would definitely recommend if you can find a clean one.

Good luck with the search!

10 minutes ago, rr62 said:

Thanks Hughie. Never had a Beta but know the 200 is a great clubman bike.

315 Montesa is a brilliant bike - Honda engine so very reliable and pretty good on parts. Would definitely recommend if you can find a clean one.

Good luck with the search!

Thank you. I’ll keep my eye out! 👍

For what it’s worth I’m 45 (12 stone) and ride a Beta Rev 3 (125). I bought it cheap to get into trials, with a view to getting a newer (bigger engine) bike at a later date. I Iove everything about this bike and can’t justify changing it. I love the classic bikes, but that depends on preference and what you intended to do.

I’m just under 13 stone…. Do you find the 125 has enough power? To be honest, I’m getting brain ache thinking about all the options and working out what prices are fair and and which bikes are overpriced…. I just want to get a bike and get stuck in! I’m probably over thinking it, it’s starting to do my head in a bit……🙄

11 hours ago, Hughie said:

I’m just under 13 stone…. Do you find the 125 has enough power? To be honest, I’m getting brain ache thinking about all the options and working out what prices are fair and and which bikes are overpriced…. I just want to get a bike and get stuck in! I’m probably over thinking it, it’s starting to do my head in a bit……🙄

If you have not ridden in trials before how can you know what is the "right" bike for you?  If you ask other people they will tell you what is "right" for them and perhaps offer an opinion about "right" for you without meeting you or knowing you or ever seeing you ride any other bike.

In your first post you said you had had bike for years (like me). I assume therefore you know to pull in the clutch and press the back brake and generally control a motorcycle?  You know that the throttle will slow the engine down as well as speed it up?  Yes, of course you do.   A trials bike is no different in its controls than a road bike.  A litre sportsbike is a handful on the road if you are not capable and confident.  If you let your enthusiasm get the better of you a decent 250cc road bike will kill you.  I honestly don't see any difference with trials machines.  You need some experience to handle the more powerful bikes and (just like road bikes) the highest power (300cc) is almost certainly far more than you need.

A 250cc trials bike from a mainstream brand - Beta, TRS, GasGas etc - will be fine for you and if (for some weird reason) you don't like it someone else will and you can sell it again easily.  A 125cc is powerful enough but you need to rev it a bit harder (just like a small capacity road bike).

Try to find something that is not an overpriced heap of junk that will take another handful of money to put right a fortnight after you buy it.  Some old nail that pre covid would have been 200 notes and now is "a classic" at 15 hundred.  There are plenty such money pits for sale on eBay right now.  Whatever make, whatever cc, whatever year of manufacture the biggest challenge for you is your budget is not enough to move you out of the overpriced tat zone.  The more you find it hard to buy anything half decent the more you will be tempted to buy some old junk that will need fixing.

So in honesty, I would be much more worried about getting a good bike that will run OK and is in a good state of repair than worry about the brand or capacity.

• Thanks 2

Thats the main problem Chris…. I didn’t study the prices ‘pre-COVID’ and so I’m trying to work out what is a decent buy and what prices things should be realistically. If only I had an understanding of what ‘real’ prices looked like before the last couple of years silliness (on everything sports or leisure oriented, not just trials bikes) then I’d probably have a better idea on what things are worth. Still, thats where we are! So, I think I’m going to just look for the latest best condition 200 or 250 I can find thats within my budget and get riding, theres plenty of time to look for a classic to tinker with later on when reality kicks back in and prices settle down a bit. There’s a TY 250 mono just come on ebay today that looks a right heap to be honest, at least certainly well worn and a bit rusty. The guide price? £2250! Another planet……

I appreciate your advice and taking the time. I’m off on holiday tomorrow and hope to get something soon after I get back so I can make a start 👍