TY250A Shifter Pedal Replacement

EvanTY250A

So, my maiden weekend voyage on a new-to-me 47 year old TY250, I managed to find the weak link in the aftermarket shift pedal... What I'm trying to find is anyone and everyone out there with background on replacing one on their TY, and which one they went with... Also my first bike in general and I'm kicking myself for taking so long.

Short of ordering random ones off the internet and trying them the next time I get a day off... Which doesn't sound like something I want to gamble on... Because I'd rather ride. 😁

PXL_20210904_231956168.jpg

Edited by EvanTY250A
Grammar

3 minutes ago, EvanTY250A said:

So, my maiden weekend voyage on a new-to-me 47 year old TY250, I managed to find the weak link in the aftermarket shift pedal... What I'm trying to find is anyone and everyone out there with background on replacing one on their TY, and which one they went with... Also my first bike in general and I'm kicking myself for taking so long.

Short of ordering random ones off the internet and trying them the next time I get a day off... Which doesn't sound like something I want to gamble on... Because I'd rather ride. 😁

PXL_20210904_231956168.jpg

Is the reason you want an aftermarket lever that you don't like the original lever or you can't source one?

16 minutes ago, feetupfun said:

Is the reason you want an aftermarket lever that you don't like the original lever or you can't source one?

For some reason it didn't post, probably user error.

Thanks for the quick reply... A little bit of both and the eBay selections aren't very wallet friendly.

Thinking about it more it looks less likely to break. 😅

19 hours ago, EvanTY250A said:

For some reason it didn't post, probably user error.

Thanks for the quick reply... A little bit of both and the eBay selections aren't very wallet friendly.

Thinking about it more it looks less likely to break. 😅

I still use the original type and reckon they are fine. In fact it is still the original lever on the bike. I've got others too but am even further away than Guy

I USED TO HAVE AN EARLY TY250 AND YOU'LL FIND THE EARLY HONDA LEVERS HAVE THE SAME SPLINE. THE ORIGINAL TY ONE WAS TOO LONG AND WHEN YOU CLOUTED A ROCK YOU WOULD SNAP OFF THE LUG IN THE GEARBOX, WHICH MEANT A FULL STRIP TO WELD IT BACK..IF YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL WITH THE FOLDING END WE USED TO CUT ABOUT 1.5 INCHES OUT AND RE-WELD IT SO THERE WASN'T TOO MUCH LEVERAGE, IF YOU CHECK ANY LATER BIKE THATS THE LENGTH YOU SHOULD GO FOR. THE HONDA XL'S ARE FINE SEE IF YOU CAN FIND A COPY ONE WITH A FOLDING END. ALL THE BEST IN YOU'RE RIDING.. ;-]

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

On 9/9/2021 at 6:29 AM, trialman said:

I USED TO HAVE AN EARLY TY250 AND YOU'LL FIND THE EARLY HONDA LEVERS HAVE THE SAME SPLINE. THE ORIGINAL TY ONE WAS TOO LONG AND WHEN YOU CLOUTED A ROCK YOU WOULD SNAP OFF THE LUG IN THE GEARBOX, WHICH MEANT A FULL STRIP TO WELD IT BACK..IF YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL WITH THE FOLDING END WE USED TO CUT ABOUT 1.5 INCHES OUT AND RE-WELD IT SO THERE WASN'T TOO MUCH LEVERAGE, IF YOU CHECK ANY LATER BIKE THATS THE LENGTH YOU SHOULD GO FOR. THE HONDA XL'S ARE FINE SEE IF YOU CAN FIND A COPY ONE WITH A FOLDING END. ALL THE BEST IN YOU'RE RIDING.. ;-]

I'm still on the hunt... Would you recommend a universal from Amazon?

6 hours ago, EvanTY250A said:

Looking to inquire about obtaining an OE shifter pedal, if you have some extras.

I know I've got a spare TY250A lever that is undamaged but like I said, I'm further than Guy so the postage would be expensive.

I just looked on eBay and there's one advertised for sale in the US for US$22. There's no way I would sell mine that cheap