Bypassing the relay - Oset 24r

Oded

Did someone try bypassing the Relay, and directly connecting the wires together?

My relay is bad, so I tried that on the Oset 24r, but unfortunately, the bike is not responding to throttle commands this way.

Rest of the lights (battery indicator, 48v feeding the relay from the controller) work well.

20210908_133506.jpg

9 minutes ago, gwhy said:

what made you think the relay is bad is the first question ?.

what wires did you use to bypass the relays is the second ?.

Providing direct 48v did not switch it on. Opening it showed damage to the coil due to the mounting bolts penetrating it (don't ask..).

Attached the two thick red wires. These are the wires that the relay connect when is switched on.

1 hour ago, Nishijin said:

Have you (as a result of the bolts) shorted something elsewhere, which is now breaking the circuit? Another component also fubar?

Not likely. The bolts penetrate the relay's coil only.

The two thin wires coming out from the controller still provide 48v to the relay.

the reason i asked about the relay is on the smaller osets if the motor is open circuit at power on then the controller do not initialize I don't know to much about the 24 but i would not mind betting that it will be the same. I can not see any real reason for the bike not to work by bypassing the relay ( has anyone got a wiring diagram for the 24 ?), connecting the to fat red wire together was correct to bypass the relay. it still could be a initialization problem with the controller, you could try and un bypass the relay first then connect battery, turn key, then bypass relay just to see if this has a different effect. If not then  a diagram will be only way to see what is going on.

if the motor is open circuit, will the controller still send the initiation voltage to the relay? because the controller still output the correct 48v voltage to the relay.

the motor was fine when riding back home, I don't see a reason for it to malfunction sitting idle. but who knows..

perhaps the spark caused by attaching the connector when the two fat red wires were connected caused a controller problem...

anyway, I suppose I can check the motor by providing its wires with a direct 48v power source.

here is the diagram.

electrical diagram OSET 24R.png

Edited by Oded

Reading older posts with similar issues, they mention that a faulty motor will cause the controller to not fire up the relay.

My situation is that the controller do provide the 48v to tbe relay (via the 2 thin wires). So, I guess the controller is trying to switch on the relay by sensing a fine motor load. Rulling out motor problem (or not 😉)

yes supplying a voltage directly to the motor will/should run the motor, just be careful supplying the full 48v as it will make the motor jolt into action quite violently,, better to test will a lower voltage i.e.  a 12v battery. When I have tested older oset controllers they work without a relay in the system but the controller on the 24 maybe different, I would check the throttle/connections as long as the motor works after testing also on the diagram there are 2 fuses and a diode it would be worth testing these items before going any further, but if still no joy then you may need to email oset and ask them what the possible cause can be..

5 hours ago, gwhy said:

yes supplying a voltage directly to the motor will/should run the motor, just be careful supplying the full 48v as it will make the motor jolt into action quite violently,, better to test will a lower voltage i.e.  a 12v battery. When I have tested older oset controllers they work without a relay in the system but the controller on the 24 maybe different, I would check the throttle/connections as long as the motor works after testing also on the diagram there are 2 fuses and a diode it would be worth testing these items before going any further, but if still no joy then you may need to email oset and ask them what the possible cause can be..

Thanks.

Fuses checked fine.

Will keep you up to date regarding the other tests (waiting for a new throttle and relay).

• 1 month later...