Brushed vs Brushless for the Oset

Oded

Riding with the motor's temperature sensor connected was no fun. After 25 minutes, it cuts the power significantly.

We disconnected it, which helped at the risk of motor damage.

You are right of course regarding brushes replacement. However, it requires disassembling the swingarm and opening the motot. Doable, but I'd rather have a maintenance free brushless motor.

Waiting now for a replacement controller and will add a fan as you suggested.

• Like 1

Here is my cooling system with meat thermometer to keep an eye on temp. If I ever replace the brushes I will make some vents in the motor housing a run a tube up the frame with a fan to pull the heat out.

There is a wire that can be cut to disable heat sensor but Oset told me it was only for diagnostic purposes for the early 24R and it should stay connected or the motor could melt.

The Oset clutch is similar to the earlier Electric Motion electronic clutch. Not necessary for an Oset but I'd like it on my eMTB. I've been riding it at skateparks and I can't use moto technique going up over bowl walls by throttling when the rear wheel compresses at the bottom. I have a throttle on it but it has a big delay. With a clutch I could time it right and accelerate over the top then cut off power.

IMG_1071.jpeg

6 hours ago, sectionone said:

Here is my cooling system with meat thermometer to keep an eye on temp. If I ever replace the brushes I will make some vents in the motor housing a run a tube up the frame with a fan to pull the heat out.

There is a wire that can be cut to disable heat sensor but Oset told me it was only for diagnostic purposes for the early 24R and it should stay connected or the motor could melt.

The Oset clutch is similar to the earlier Electric Motion electronic clutch. Not necessary for an Oset but I'd like it on my eMTB. I've been riding it at skateparks and I can't use moto technique going up over bowl walls by throttling when the rear wheel compresses at the bottom. I have a throttle on it but it has a big delay. With a clutch I could time it right and accelerate over the top then cut off power.

It would be interesting to know how much difference your fins make. Most thermal conductivity stuff I've read makes a pretty big deal about getting really good contact between the surfaces - clean metal to metal, dead flat surfaces, conductive pastes where there is any chance of air gaps .... Obviously something has to do more than nothing but I'm not sure those fins would achieve a great deal. Do you have any before and after figures for the sort of temps you get?

I'm not sure that the e-clutch will make any difference to the throttle lag on your MTB. It's just a second throttle, nothing more or less. The only difference is that the main throttle is 'normally open' while the "clutch" is 'normally closed'. Unless the lag is your ability to twist the throttle fast enough, which I very much doubt, then it's inherent in the controller. You could put an instantaneous switch as the throttle and it would make no difference to the delay.

If you are trying to achieve a power chop rather than a power hit, maybe it might work. Or you might be able to hook onto the brake cutoff signal wire if it has one? Or some people have resorted to just chopping the main power with a contactor, although some controllers might not like that much.

That is very likely exactly why Oset has gone with a brushed motor - they can get instant response without spending a lot of money on a fast brushless controller. If you want instant response on your MTB you probably need to get a new controller.

If you haven't seen it, https://endless-sphere.com/ is well worth spending some time on (you might need a lot of time, there is so much info in there).