1980 Dodge d-50

magnapoxy

Here is a new to me Bike. Asked Business owner to install slow throttle. glad he did !  The white truck - It has a header & a blown out muffler, Weber 2 barrel carb..  The Scorpa has a new spark arrestor fresh muffler packing.  I like my truck.gets approx 45 mpg.  Gasoline here in washington, non ethanol is nearly $4.50 per gallon.  

2020 Scorpa 300 009.JPG

2020 Scorpa 300 007.JPG

3 hours ago, fullchoke said:

What are your tricks for getting that kind of mileage from your D-50?

Thanks

There were quite a few versions of this 2 liter engine. most had timing belts-   the engine in my truck is- G52B. japan industrial engine. counter balanced with timing chain. used in many fork lifts in japan years ago. America emissions required this to be a jet valve motor..  This mickey mouse idea was removed out of the head, replaced with bolts. 4 of them. - Got rid of the mikuni carb- put a weber 2 barrel on.- gas has been spendy forever in europe, weber knows how to build a carb correctly. --  it runs on 1 barrel 99% of the time, the secondary barrel used a counter weight to open it-- it stays closed unless the motor is really wound up. The carb has no power valve enrichment  like nearly all usa carbs have-- holley - barry grant-- ect ect.  I take off slowly-- do not lug or rev  it--  sorta  short shift it.  on long up hills go into the truckers lane- go to 3 rd gear.  There is one like mine down the street, old man has it-- told him, you ever sell it-- i am right down the street if it runs decently-- clear title- i have cash dollars.   what happened to the good ol rigs-- several years ago- price of metal skyrocketed-- everything got crushed- sent over seas.darned shame. Oh, i only run non ethanol gas in everything i have-   this is a big help for milage.

Oregon? what part ?   2nd house i flipped was south of Pendleton.  Pilot Rock, Or. totally safe there. Never took the keys out of the cars-trucks- never locked the house-basement- gone for days dirt biking- kayaking, Told the neibors, you guys are welcome to the tool boxes in basement- but clean the wrenches up before you put them back in the roll aways, and-  The 1/2 inch torque werench is NOT a breaker bar !!  leave in the box. !!  Pilot Rock is a sawmill town--  good jobs there too-   but i moved to central wa.  Ephrata, wa.   big house- 5 br, jacuzzi, showers soaking tubs--- bout 3 k sq ft--  life is good-- lol.   kinda miss oregon though-- dave.

Hi Dave, 

South of Portland, rural. Been here since 1962. Secure here too, but not liking the population growth so much....traffic. My Dad used to say "where are all these people going"! A certain % of the population is always going somewhere. It is just that population base is growing faster all the time. I'm thinking of moving farther out, now that I'm retired. 

I've got a 1987 D-50, but with the auto trans. Was one of those Air Force D-50's. Has all of the junk you removed. Mileage doesn't come close to yours. Never will with the auto either.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, trapezeartist said:

It still recall the comment of an SU engineer many years ago, when I was waxing lyrical about twin Webers. "Anyone can design an hole."

Please tell me in the background there was a Stromberg fan passed out at the bar while this exchange took place

I think gasoline has been spendy in europe for long time. Its become spendy in usa this year. All carbys - aftermarket - holly-barry grant- ect-  have a fuel enrichment divice. its called a power valve. its located between the main jets. At light throttle settings, engines have high vacume.-- as the load on an engine increases, it loses vacume.example- a 6.5 hg power valve- when engine vacume drops below 6.5 hg, the valve opens. A standard flow power valve is main jets X 8. this quenches -cools combustion chamber temp -slows down spark knock and adds engine horse power and  drains the gas tank & money quickly.  The Weber on my little truck does not have a power valve. This helps to go long time between gas fill ups.  There are carbs for motorcycles that do not have pilot & main jets. The fuel is metered tru the needle valve. Its called a Lectron carb. A advanced version of a lectron is called a Smart carb.--  VERY spendy. I put a standard 38 mm Lectron on a rm 144 suzuki. - It would run like a scalded dog on top end, but it had a rich hitch off idle i could never stop. several types of needle valves slides later i put it back in its proper place- the cardboard box it came in. Bought a Kehin 36mm pwk air striker short body carb with jd jetting kit- Thunder products quad flow torque wing.  --  runs really good.  Thunder products torque wings only go down to fit 36 mm carbs.  I would like to have one of these for 28mm Kehin pwk series carbs. Put one on my Scorpa 300 !!     They make a HUGE increase in power right off idle  -- with proper re tuning-- torque wings cause a engine to become richer off idle - into lower midrange.  As usual. paedon my spelling mistakes-- I have a decent command of english--- but my spelling----- lol.

48 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

No, he was out in the car park changing a split diaphragm. 😆

There are some things you shouldn't joke about, you've crossed a line there!

(I had a '63 Triumph 2000 once upon a time, loved it to bits but it never returned my feelings)