Common injuries & prevention

bikerpet

I come from a skiing background where ACL injuries have been common. Years ago there was research done into the specific mechanisms that caused the injuries and out of that some falling techniques to reduce the risk. Similarly snowboarding has a high incidence of wrist fractures and shoulder dislocations, and people are taught (or should be) specific falling techniques to minimise the risk.

What are the common trials injuries, and are there techniques or practices that can reduce the chance of injuring yourself?

I'm guessing ankle injuries are probably fairly common? Are ACL injuries common? Shoulders? Clavicle? Shoulder AC joints? Facial injuries?

9 hours ago, bikerpet said:

I'm guessing ankle injuries are probably fairly common? Are ACL injuries common? Shoulders? Clavicle? Shoulder AC joints? Facial injuries?

I don't think any of the above occur more frequently than in any other sport tbh. Theres a few pros who ride with knee braces (ferrer, farre etc) Theres also wrist injuries, specifically the scaphoid. Some american and Japanese riders ride with full face motocross helmets, but in my area ive only known one person to fall and lose a tooth in 20 years riding

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

we run mx, enduros and trials and our accident rate at falls off dramtically as you get to trials.

while i'm not sure anyone has run a statistical analyisis, some of the usual supsect are already covered; eg boots, touser with leather patches, long sleeves, gloves and helmet (in the UK gloves and long sleeves are only compulsary for youth). there are some other areas that people are concered with and extra things like knee, body, arm armour are used by some, lanyards to stop engines of run away bikes (compuslary for youth, sidecars and british championships), front sproket gaurds, disc gaurds, solid sprokets (all risk of taking a finger off). to what extent these areas need governing bodies to mandate has been of some debate, because most people would argue we are not seeing the injuries to make you want to do this. over in mx body armour has become compuslary recently, and there is a lot of debate over neck injuries and neck braces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trapezeartist said:

I've hurt my back twice (ribs, not spine) so I probably should get a back protector. But then I'd go and damage some other bit. On the whole, trials injuries are very rare.

I use a Troy Lee Designs MTB padded vest for that same reason. I like that it gives all around protection, not just back. My rib bruises have been on the front/side rather than back. It also covers the shoulders so I hope it gives a bit of protection against shoulder and clavicle injuries. It's very light, and ventilated so not too hot.

It seems from this thread that there isn't any particularly common specific injury, which is probably encouraging.

5 hours ago, magnapoxy said:

I always have goggles and use a quick strap device. I can take them on and off with a flick of my left hand while in motion.  This is of paramount importance for me.

I went out for a short ride the other day without goggles on Sunday, took a fly to the eye and got pinkeye so I'm thinking this is good advice! (I usually wear goggles, but figured because I wasn't going fast or far it would be ok ... famous last words)

I'm mostly concerned with hurting my wrists these days.

10 hours ago, turbofurball said:

I went out for a short ride the other day without goggles on Sunday, took a fly to the eye and got pinkeye so I'm thinking this is good advice! (I usually wear goggles, but figured because I wasn't going fast or far it would be ok ... famous last words)

I'm mostly concerned with hurting my wrists these days.

Sunglasses or clear safety glasses for me, leave the goggle fog for the enduro rides! Just don't hang the sunglasses on your bars, forget about them and ride home. They won't hang on for the whole ride. This I know.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am 62-- going on 18 !!!  Birthday? I was a spring baby.  I saved all my old dirt bike gear, All the chips on the bell moto 4 helmet have a story to tell. same with the dents on the pairs of hi point pro gp -- also known as mad max boots. stainless steel part dents- and the dents on my lower legs shins. --  The trials gear looks pretty darned good.--  mostly just sudden gusts of gravity on gnarly switch back trails.  or from what i call floundering out in the over grown off the map trails-.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm 62 going on 18 too and have been riding trials all my life.

Here are the trials riding injuries I can remember:

ACL torn due to jumping backwards off a bike at the top of a bank and landing on my feet awkwardly because of a stick that prevented my knee bending.

Broken ribs from falling down a bank tangled up with the bike.

Torn rotator cuff from falling onto shoulder.

Torn calf muscle from landing from a jump without being warmed up.

Bent nose and cut forehead from face-plant after brake cable hooked over fork top clamp.

Leg burn after handlebars broke and landed on the exhaust header.

Leg burn after crashing with leg trapped against exhaust header.

Broken pinky finger from crash with my chest against on a rock with my hand between my ribs and the rock.

Fingers squashed between levers and grips multiple times hitting trees and logs.

Lots of lower leg injuries from impacts with kickstarts (when kicking), footpegs (when crashing) and sticks flung up.

Ankle injury from a vine loop pulling the front of my foot down and under the peg.

Knocked out from an upper cut to the jaw from the handlebar end when crashing.

Head impact that knocked me off the bike when front of helmet hit an unseen tree branch (going up a bank looking into the sun).

There is a longer list for enduro injuries but that was not the question

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, feetupfun said:

I'm 62 going on 18 too and have been riding trials all my life.

Here are the trials riding injuries I can remember:

ACL torn due to jumping backwards off a bike at the top of a bank and landing on my feet awkwardly because of a stick that prevented my knee bending.

Broken ribs from falling down a bank tangled up with the bike.

Torn rotator cuff from falling onto shoulder.

Torn calf muscle from landing from a jump without being warmed up.

Bent nose and cut forehead from face-plant after brake cable hooked over fork top clamp.

Leg burn after handlebars broke and landed on the exhaust header.

Leg burn after crashing with leg trapped against exhaust header.

Broken pinky finger from crash with my chest against on a rock with my hand between my ribs and the rock.

Fingers squashed between levers and grips multiple times hitting trees and logs.

Lots of lower leg injuries from impacts with kickstarts (when kicking), footpegs (when crashing) and sticks flung up.

Ankle injury from a vine loop pulling the front of my foot down and under the peg.

Knocked out from an upper cut to the jaw from the handlebar end when crashing.

Head impact that knocked me off the bike when front of helmet hit an unseen tree branch (going up a bank looking into the sun).

There is a longer list for enduro injuries but that was not the question

Have you thought about taking up basket weaving?

:-)