Oset 12 set-up and getting the little guy going....

wardo78

I am giving my 3.5 year old grandson an OSET 12r and I an wondering what tire pressure folks are using and any other set up tips (not that he'll notice at first!). Also, since he is skilled on hs balance bicycle, my plan was to pull the pegs off for the first ride and let him get used to it, then put the pegs on a day later or so. Thoughts on this or any other suggestions on making his transition easier?

Thanks,

Ward

My kid was also on an Oset 12.5 to start, just slow down the speed to start, give him a large flat area, a quick throttle tutorial and let him go! Also good to have someone else on a bike, even a peddle bike, kids like to follow and lead. Kids intelligence and learning ability is often under rated. The balance bikes are brilliant and teach them the hardest part!

Hi Ward

First. Congrats on getting your grandson into the best Motorsport in the world. 😁👍

Regarding the tire pressure. Just let them be like on a ordinary pushbike. You can't use ordinary low Trial tire pressure. 

I my opinion, it's better to let the child train alone the first few times. I have tried to write does some of our experience in this article. https://www.juniormoto.com/2017/12/28/starting-on-motocycle/?lang=en

Also... You can make some simple upgrades to the OSET, that will make it easier for your grandson (and you) 👍😊

https://www.juniormoto.com/2018/10/09/upgrades-to-12-5-motorcycle/?lang=en

Hope the you both will have a lot of great team together.

Regards

Thomas

My daughter started around the same age on the older Oset 12.5...
Tire pressure, as long as the rim doesn't spin in the tire, you are good to go. What is the exact pressure is hard to say, as their quality is so-and-so...
Few things I learnt:

• If the pegs start to be an issue, zip-tie them up. But first, see if that is an issue at all
  • Speed - rather a bit faster (not crazy fast, but jogging speed is better than walking speed. Helps with the balance)
  • Get a tether switch (if you don't have - normally closed). For first few rides you can run next to him and keep the tether if anything goes wrong, you can just pull it off. The engine braking is very good with these bikes... Later, after each crash, he can get the bike up himself. I didn’t have it in the beginning and while she was lifting the bike, it caused some very weird spins and loops. 
  • If you don’t have any mx or trials boots, make sure he wears some higher boots (my girl used some robust rainboots). First of it helps when the footpegs hit, but also when the bike drops on the leg. It is heavy, especially with acid batteries. Knee guards are also a good investment

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kasper said:

My daughter started around the same age on the older Oset 12.5...
Tire pressure, as long as the rim doesn't spin in the tire, you are good to go. What is the exact pressure is hard to say, as their quality is so-and-so...
Few things I learnt:

• If the pegs start to be an issue, zip-tie them up. But first, see if that is an issue at all
  • Speed - rather a bit faster (not crazy fast, but jogging speed is better than walking speed. Helps with the balance)
  • Get a tether switch (if you don't have - normally closed). For first few rides you can run next to him and keep the tether if anything goes wrong, you can just pull it off. The engine braking is very good with these bikes... Later, after each crash, he can get the bike up himself. I didn’t have it in the beginning and while she was lifting the bike, it caused some very weird spins and loops. 
  • If you don’t have any mx or trials boots, make sure he wears some higher boots (my girl used some robust rainboots). First of it helps when the footpegs hit, but also when the bike drops on the leg. It is heavy, especially with acid batteries. Knee guards are also a good investment

Thanks for the additional info!

ward

• 2 weeks later...

We gave him his Oset 12.5 eco last Wednesday, and he took to it immediately. I left the pegs on and down and he never thought twice about using them. They live on 4 acres, so he just started riding around the house, he also made tight turns around trees in their orchard. What I was most impressed with was his ability to come to a halt and remain balanced. He can ride REALLY slow without needing to wiggle the bars... until he can't and then he tips over. Being 4, he is prone to losing attention. 2 things that I did to help with that was 1- Play, "catch Poppi" in which I jogged ahead of him around trees and such and he followed. He was happy to do this until I was tuckered out, 2- Have me follow him on my trials bike. He wasn't as enthused to follow me here, so I just putted around behind him. Overall, it was a total success, thanks!

Ward

• Like 1