Trial….. or practice first!

NoTraction

So…

After much info gathering and helpful advice from you lovely lot on here, as of today I am the proud owner of a really nice 2008 Beta Rev 250. Hardly a mark on it, comparatively speaking, don’t even know if it has ever been trialled in earnest, it certainly hasn’t by the last owner.

I’ve been in touch with my nearest club (Oxford Ixion) through their Facebook group to enquire about how to get going having never ‘done’ trials before, at least not properly. The guy I’ve been in touch with suggested I just enter the trial they have next Sunday via the ACU website and just turn up and do the easy route.

Thing is, I have nowhere to practice prior to then and I wonder if that’s a bit ambitious having only ridden the bike up and down the drive twice! Oxford don’t have a practice ground I don’t think so there’s nowhere I know of that way to go and play. I can join Milton Buzzard in Milton Keynes and then I guess use theirs though, they are the next nearest club. I’ve never even been to a trial yet, never mind ridden in one. Would it be ok to just turn up and ride or should I get used to the bike first?

Don’t really want to a) bend it, b) bend me, c) make a tit of myself by putting the cart before the horse! My last experience was on a ‘trials day’ where I put a Gas Gas 300 through a fence (should never have been on anything that lively with my experience). Is a proper trial the best place to start? I don’t know what to expect.

I should add that although I’m new to trials, I’ve had bikes for nearly 40 years.

I might be over thinking it. Would be grateful for advice!

Enter, ride round, watch and if you fancy doing a section have a go. Its still a cheap day out on the bike and you'll meet new friends.

To clarify,  "ride round", as in round the course, not "ride around" which suggests ride anywhere.

Edited by arthritic
  • Thanks 1

You can't always just ride around, you'd need to check with the organisers.

Just my opinion but if you can control the bike and it's the easy route on a beginner trial then it's worth considering just going for it. If it's the easy route on a normal trial (in which case "easy" shouldn't necessarily be taken literally)  or you have any doubts about your bike control then go and spectate.

• Thanks 1

Hey Hughie, I know Ken at Oxford Ixion (and the venue) well, they're a good bunch and you would be absolutely fine just to ride round and have a look on, if there are any sections you fancy having a go at then do so, if you don't like the look of it then don't. Meet some people and get some advice, get used to riding the bike and just enjoy it - you'll be fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rich500 said:

Hey Hughie, I know Ken at Oxford Ixion (and the venue) well, they're a good bunch and you would be absolutely fine just to ride round and have a look on, if there are any sections you fancy having a go at then do so, if you don't like the look of it then don't. Meet some people and get some advice, get used to riding the bike and just enjoy it - you'll be fine.

Thanks Rich

I’m thinking I may just go for a look around this time. I doubt I’m going to get to have decent go in the bike before then and I think I might like to get to know it a bit first just in case!

I see you are in Buckinghamshire, I’m between Aylesbury and Bicester. Do you know if there are any places to practice in this neck of the woods? I know of Milton Buzzard and Berko, I was wondering if there was anywhere more locally. Long shot, but thought it worth asking! I don’t think Oxford have a place for practicing.

Yes I am but not many 'official' practice areas round here unfortunately, Nash Mills (Berko) is probably closest for you. Apart from there and Milton Buzzard there's Hook Woods but that's near Guildford so a bit of a trek from Aylesbury plus not very novice friendly to be fair. Best to try Nash Mills or try and befriend a local farmer with some woodland but easier said than done!

• Thanks 1

I am the Secretary of the Eboracum Club in York.  We often get new riders and members and I usually try and pair them up with a more experienced rider so they don't feel lost.

I would have a word with the Oxford club to see if they can help you. At the very least I'm sure they will be able to introduce you to another Club member who is riding the easy route so you have someone to ride round with.

I suggest you enter the event and follow round the route having a look at the sections and attempting any you feel confident about.  If you watch what the other riders are doing this should give you a bit of confidence.

If you enter on-line via the ACU  you will be charged £3 for a ACU day licence ( in addition to the entry fee).  Ideally, you should get an annual Trials Registration but these run January to December so you may want to wait till the new year.

Out website (https://eboracummotorcycleclub.co.uk/ ) has some information on starting trialling and guides on using the ACU website.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hughie said:

...I’m thinking I may just go for a look around this time. I doubt I’m going to get to have decent go in the bike before then and I think I might like to get to know it a bit first just in case!

You will regret not taking it !

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, stu109 said:

I am the Secretary of the Eboracum Club in York.  We often get new riders and members and I usually try and pair them up with a more experienced rider so they don't feel lost.

I would have a word with the Oxford club to see if they can help you. At the very least I'm sure they will be able to introduce you to another Club member who is riding the easy route so you have someone to ride round with.

I suggest you enter the event and follow round the route having a look at the sections and attempting any you feel confident about.  If you watch what the other riders are doing this should give you a bit of confidence.

If you enter on-line via the ACU  you will be charged £3 for a ACU day licence ( in addition to the entry fee).  Ideally, you should get an annual Trials Registration but these run January to December so you may want to wait till the new year.

Out website (https://eboracummotorcycleclub.co.uk/ ) has some information on starting trialling and guides on using the ACU website.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info 👍

• Like 1

Yup, early on I used the ability to enter events and then just ride about the venue (after checking that was ok), and maybe do one (or even a half) section.

"Fun trials" and "Dead easy trials" are excellent for bridging the gap between practice and actually getting properly stuck in, so keep an eye out for those, and you can also ask people at the club where they go to practice :)

• Thanks 1

Enter it - you can always ask for fives at anything you really don’t fancy - it won’t be a problem at all. Ixion is a really friendly club with well run trials and Beckley is a nice blast round.

Nb I think you will definitely need to enter in advance on the ACU website. I am entered (subject to bloody petrol) so more than happy to scoot round with you - easiest pm me. 

And apart from the other clubs mentioned, HUX has a practice ground which is pretty sociable and free (with membership) on 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month.

• Thanks 1