Trial….. or practice first!

NoTraction

Personally I would want a bit of practice under my belt before entering. But if you do enter and have a go, remember you can always do a section but miss out a bit if you don't like it. You'll get a 5 and just go on to the next. Quite a lot of clubs run a "Gentleman's route" or green route where you just go through the begins and ends cards and do what you like in between. Ideal for a raw beginner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rr62 said:

Enter it - you can always ask for fives at anything you really don’t fancy - it won’t be a problem at all. Ixion is a really friendly club with well run trials and Beckley is a nice blast round.

Nb I think you will definitely need to enter in advance on the ACU website. I am entered (subject to bloody petrol) so more than happy to scoot round with you - easiest pm me. 

And apart from the other clubs mentioned, HUX has a practice ground which is pretty sociable and free (with membership) on 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month.

Thank you - and good point, petrol!

1 hour ago, Hong27 said:

Hi Hughie, 

was just wandering how you got on at the weekend?

Hi there!

I got on well - On another post I’ve written at length about it. I didn't actually take the bike but just went for a look. I met a few people and learned a lot about how it works (ie the format) and have submitted an entry for the North Berks MCC Autumn Trial at Standlake Woods. Apparently they have a couple of really easy Novice routes to cut your teeth on.

I see you’re in Oxfordshire, are you new at it as well?

On 10/4/2021 at 7:31 PM, Hughie said:

Hi there!

I got on well - On another post I’ve written at length about it. I didn't actually take the bike but just went for a look. I met a few people and learned a lot about how it works (ie the format) and have submitted an entry for the North Berks MCC Autumn Trial at Standlake Woods. Apparently they have a couple of really easy Novice routes to cut your teeth on.

I see you’re in Oxfordshire, are you new at it as well?

Hi Hughie,

Sorry for my late response to you  

yes, read your other post and see you had a walk round. 
Yes, I’m in a very similar situation to yourself as new at this and finding somewhere to practice would be a great  help. Have ridden road bikes for most of my life. Did go to Fry’s bottom with some mates but was a bit extreme in places for first time out and saw me hitting the deck plenty of times. 
Also did enter one trial, missed plenty of sections but did do a few. 
Also hoping to the North Berks trial. Have applied to join North Berks club as their arena at Aston is only a few minutes from me so definitely the closest club to me. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Hong27 said:

Also hoping to the North Berks trial. Have applied to join North Berks club as their arena at Aston is only a few minutes from me so definitely the closest club to me. 

Unfortunately it's not open very often ... lovely practice spot though, plenty of easy lines so you can work your way up.

The next closest dedicated trials practice area is Zona 1, which is open any time you like (during the day, and you're not allowed to ride alone just in case of emergencies).  Also look up Mortimer Fun Trials, they're a really lovely bunch and their spot is just up the A4 a bit ;)

On 10/10/2021 at 10:55 PM, Hong27 said:

Yes, I’m in a very similar situation to yourself as new at this and finding somewhere to practice would be a great  help. Have ridden road bikes for most of my life. Did go to Fry’s bottom with some mates but was a bit extreme in places for first time out and saw me hitting the deck plenty of times. 

There's something for everyone at Fry's Bottom. You definitely don't have to tackle anything you think is beyond your ability.

On 10/11/2021 at 4:02 PM, turbofurball said:

The next closest dedicated trials practice area is Zona 1, which is open any time you like (during the day, and you're not allowed to ride alone just in case of emergencies).  Also look up Mortimer Fun Trials, they're a really lovely bunch and their spot is just up the A4 a bit ;)

I believe Zona1 is now closed. If not, it will soon.

11 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

There's something for everyone at Fry's Bottom. You definitely don't have to tackle anything you think is beyond your ability.

No to be fair, I did have a laugh down there and by the end of the day was doing some decent climbs and descents etc. and as said if you don't fancy it turn the other way 🙂

14 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

I believe Zona1 is now closed. If not, it will soon.

I believe Zona1 closed at he end of July ready to become a bypass or something.

Over 80% of the hassle with trials riding is the preparation:

Club membership, ACU License, Helmet suitability, Boots suitable and Dubbined.  Transport to the trial.  Bike preparation and spare Petrol.  Entry on time... etc etc.

Once you have all that done the riding is relatively easy.  On hot days, an energy drink is advisable, or flask of hot tea...  Have fun.

6 minutes ago, phiggs said:

Over 80% of the hassle with trials riding is the preparation:

Club membership, ACU License, Helmet suitability, Boots suitable and Dubbined.  Transport to the trial.  Bike preparation and spare Petrol.  Entry on time... etc etc.

Once you have all that done the riding is relatively easy.  On hot days, an energy drink is advisable, or flask of hot tea...  Have fun.

Thanks… just preparing actually, first trial is tomorrow! I think it’s going to be a rucksack and some sustainable from the garage on the way… .

Do riders usually just scoot back and forth to their vans/cars when they need a change of jacket or some fuel (or anything else). I’m a bit of an organisation freak, just want to be prepared,,. 😳

1 hour ago, Hughie said:

Do riders usually just scoot back and forth to their vans/cars when they need a change of jacket or some fuel (or anything else). I’m a bit of an organisation freak, just want to be prepared,,. 😳

Usually the route makes it easy to stop off at your van between laps. On a warm day you may want to strip off a layer after the first lap. Your bike should do a whole trial on a tankful, unless it's an unusually long lap. Some people carry a bottle of water with them, or wear a camelbak. Others just grab a drink as they pass their van.

5 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

Usually the route makes it easy to stop off at your van between laps. On a warm day you may want to strip off a layer after the first lap. Your bike should do a whole trial on a tankful, unless it's an unusually long lap. Some people carry a bottle of water with them, or wear a camelbak. Others just grab a drink as they pass their van.

Thanks for this…. Good to know in advance 👍