My Suzuki DS 185

Ftwelder

10 minutes ago, htrdoug said:

Couldn’t help but notice you have Magura power pull levers,they have about the most amount of cable pull/least leverage of any lever. I like to use Honda CR replacement levers,they have the most leverage/least cable pull / best lever bend that I have found. Domino levers have good leverage too. I might be concerned your clutch will be a bear to use with the Magura. 

Thanks for that info. Friends have mentioned my levers are hard to pull. Ill take your advice and try something else. I have a variable ratio lever on my OSSA but it's a POS. I have considered making my own with hardened perch and malleable lever.  

I made more progress this week. I spliced my rear brake cam so it now has Honda spline count. I also made arbors to hold my brake backing plates so I could true my brake shoes. It's amazing how many challenges one encounters when messing around with parts from several sources being used outside original purpose. I wanted to make good use of the long brake arm but it makes contact with the forks pinch bolts. I couldn't rotate the backing plate as the anchor feature on the backing plate was making contact with the fork leg due to using a wide MX hub and narrow TLR fork crowns. The only victim was a less then ideal cable angle.

51920795365_fcc863d537_b.jpg

Next thing was to get some chain management pieces going. I wanted something that was up out of harms way and made a plastic sandwich with some material engineered for impact resistance and free machining wrapped in 6.1mm thick 2024 aluminum. Ill bolt it up with flatheads which need to be ordered. 

51920795340_2eb4a970a0_b.jpg

I made a bracket weeks ago before painting the swing arm and it's position worked out fine except for one small issue. The  bolt heads contact the tube by a little bit. Ill need to turn them down a little before the final assembly but I am happy with the result. 

51920795345_28af83f0f4_b.jpg

Next thing will be the spring loaded tensioner which will be located just rearward of the swing arm pivot. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay. I was waiting for parts and a 1988 KX250 caught my eye but I am back on track now.  The first event of the season was today so for the past week I was super busy completing the build. By Friday I had it together, oil in the gearbox and figured I should give it a whack and see if it would light. To my surprise it started on the first kick! I warmed it up a bit and set off the the carb still choked.

I did a minimal amount of tuning, made fork brace and mounted fender and headed to the venue for a preview loop before setting up camp. The bike was running great! I messed around near the parking lot, EVERYTHING FINE! so I head off for a three mile loop. Long about section four at the bottom of the ravine the bike goes quiet 10meters from the bottom of the grade. No sputter, just silence.

I had no spark. I changed plug and still nothing. I pushed it back up the hill and on to camp where I tore it down and with no spares or test equipment I was able to make nothing better but I am pretty sure it's the CDI module. 

This is what it looks like. Ill get some detailed shots when I have unpacked. Thanks for looking.

52042547742_e3797f887d_b.jpg52043646058_1210857ab1_b.jpg

Relaxing with my OSSA

52043840264_a9fa005180_b.jpg

Ill have updates this week.

Edited by Ftwelder
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2022 at 6:46 PM, htrdoug said:

Couldn’t help but notice you have Magura power pull levers,they have about the most amount of cable pull/least leverage of any lever. I like to use Honda CR replacement levers,they have the most leverage/least cable pull / best lever bend that I have found. Domino levers have good leverage too. I might be concerned your clutch will be a bear to use with the Magura. 

I love the Domino levers for feel and leverage but I am having an interference issue with the throttle I am using, preventing me from sliding the brake perch inwards. I have a Domino throttle to try.

There won't be any issues with interference if you have the housing that has been standard on most trials bikes for probably 30+ years, that's what I use on my TY250

Funny you have electrical problems, I'm trying to sort the electrexworld ignition in the TY at the moment, stopped while idling as I waited at a section & also has no spark after giving no signs of trouble. Will be trying a different CDI/coil unit tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it will be the stator, think I may end up having to order a complete new system from another manufacturer to get it sorted in time for a 3 day event at the start of June

• Like 1

Bike sounds Great! Love the quick rev sound! I like my vintage bikes to rev like a modern bike, Keeps my timing consistent on obstacles.

Before replacing CDI box first check the grounding, both for the CDI box and the engine to frame contact. Many of problematic bike and car I have fixed that way.

Also disconnect your kill button.

You have me watching for a TS or DS 185 for a project myself😉

Edited by htrdoug
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tony27 said:

There won't be any issues with interference if you have the housing that has been standard on most trials bikes for probably 30+ years, that's what I use on my TY250

Funny you have electrical problems, I'm trying to sort the electrexworld ignition in the TY at the moment, stopped while idling as I waited at a section & also has no spark after giving no signs of trouble. Will be trying a different CDI/coil unit tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it will be the stator, think I may end up having to order a complete new system from another manufacturer to get it sorted in time for a 3 day event at the start of June

I was mistaken the extra throttle is an Amal T80/200. Electrex is backed up?

11 hours ago, htrdoug said:

Bike sounds Great! Love the quick rev sound! I like my vintage bikes to rev like a modern bike, Keeps my timing consistent on obstacles.

Before replacing CDI box first check the grounding, both for the CDI box and the engine to frame contact. Many of problematic bike and car I have fixed that way.

Also disconnect your kill button.

You have me watching for a TS or DS 185 for a project myself😉

Thanks, I have a 12T front sprocket and it's a little tall. I can get 10 and 11T here in the states but it's perky for sure. I was surprised how quick it is.

Your comment about the ground has the thinking. The CDI box is rubber mounted and probably gets it's ground on the stator plate. I really like the platform so far. The clutch is heavy but works good. I think the case covers are probably fragile.

One of the two things I can do with a multi-meter is check continuity so I started by testing the stator wires to ground and none were. Bingo! The wire that goes to the coil frame had a soldered joint fail. I made some improvements in the wire routing while I was under the tank.

52048711033_4fd02fd135_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 10:39 AM, Ftwelder said:

I was mistaken the extra throttle is an Amal T80/200. Electrex is backed up?

Very hard to contact when you're on the other side of the world. Show the stator plate as out of stock & don't list the coil seperately

49 minutes ago, tony27 said:

Very hard to contact when you're on the other side of the world. Show the stator plate as out of stock & don't list the coil seperately

Mid Atlantic trials may have them here in the states.

Heading out for my second "first ride" tomorrow. I sealed the head pipe, repacked the muffler, modded the front damper rods so they hopefully won't blow their oil out the vent holes, tested almost every possible jetting and carb size combo, adjusted timing and I am really happy with handling. I need lower bars but it feels great otherwise. I am running a 12T on the front now and an still a little tall in the gearing. I ordered a 10T and 11T from two different sources over the past couple weeks and neither has shipped yet.

I have some slight clutch drag that is annoying and makes finding neutral challenging.  The TS clutch has some interesting springs that  "thread" into the clutch hub and I left them pretty loose.  The issue may be all new friction materials so if it doesn't clean up tomorrow ill adjust the springs to a shorter length in the hope it will take up some cable slack. Clutch pull is very light compared to what I am used to.

I have till noon tomorrow to get it together! (sorry about crappy links.)

52056440612_0d9ed6fc88_b.jpg

52059973261_9cfd68fc3a_b.jpg52060456680_6251787dc9_b.jpg

Edited by Ftwelder

On 5/5/2022 at 9:18 PM, Ftwelder said:

Mid Atlantic trials may have them here in the states.

After finding out it was going to cost $575 to get the coil rewound the decision was made to buy the dual map system from Rex's speed shop as delivered it is over $100 cheaper & the coils are available off the shelf from them. Hoping it arrives before I leave for the 3 day trial at the start of June 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tony27 said:

After finding out it was going to cost $575 to get the coil rewound the decision was made to buy the dual map system from Rex's speed shop as delivered it is over $100 cheaper & the coils are available off the shelf from them. Hoping it arrives before I leave for the 3 day trial at the start of June 

Yikes, that is a lot of money. It's good you found a cheaper option.  I have a buddy with a TY250 and I rode a TY 175 for the first time yesterday. Very nice bikes!

Where is the three day event?

Frank

Kaikoura in the south island of New Zealand, this will be the 76th year it's run. In 2013 they ran a 6 day event with the last 3 days being run as a seperate event for those who didn't ride the first 3. Don't know how many times I've done it now but the last few have been on the TY instead of my Sherco

Can't fault Rex's service, ordered Monday NZ time & had a tracking number emailed overnight, already left the UK so it looks to be a fairly good chance that I'll get a test ride in before leaving