Another daft noob question…..

NoTraction

This may seem a daft question….

Planning on going to a trial for the first time tomorrow at Oxford Ixion just to check it out and learn before taking the newly purchased bike. But I have no idea how long it’s likely to go on for! Starts at 10.30, are they usually an all day thing or a lunchtime finish thing? And do you take food and drink or is there usually a burger van or something? 

Sorry if this seems an odd question but I can’t find out any info and the Wife wants to know roughly what time I’ll be back! And as shown, I really haven’t got a clue what to expect! 😆

Edited by Hughie
Added content

I am pretty new at this (first season) and arrive a couple hours early so I can ride a casual preview loop (not entering sections) The 10:30 is probably the riders meeting with the contest starting at 11:00. We usually end at 3:00 with 30 min grace period. Time penalty after that. The first loop takes about half your time then you have to hustle to make the time limit. I carry snacks and stop after second loop for a very quick lunch and carry water on my back. My usual concern is eating/drinking enough before the event. Once the event is completed I indiscriminately eat everything in sight. 62 years, 11.8 stone. Best of luck!

I didn't notice locals had given more relevant info below and mentioned different local customs that what we have here. Listen to them.

Edited by Ftwelder
update
  • Thanks 1

In England most Trials are held on a Sunday. with only a few on Saturday, whose arrangements often differ from the following:  Trials usually start at 10.30.  Usually ten sections, 4 laps.  No break.  It depends on numbers and sections, but they usually last between 3 and 4 hours.  Cost is usually between £15 and £20.  Number of riders can be anywhere between 40 and 100, with 60 - 70 most likely.  There are usually 3 grades of difficulty:  Expert, Clubman and Novice.  Most Trials may have both Modern and Twinshock bikes.  If you are going for the first time enter the Novice.  Watch what the other riders do and follow them.  Most importantly, don't take it too seriously and HAVE FUN!

8 hours ago, Ftwelder said:

I am pretty new at this (first season) and arrive a couple hours early so I can ride a casual preview loop (not entering sections) The 10:30 is probably the riders meeting with the contest starting at 11:00. We usually end at 3:00 with 30 min grace period. Time penalty after that. The first loop takes about half your time then you have to hustle to make the time limit. I carry snacks and stop after second loop for a very quick lunch and carry water on my back. My usual concern is eating/drinking enough before the event. Once the event is completed I indiscriminately eat everything in sight. 62 years, 11.8 stone. Best of luck!

I didn't notice locals had given more relevant info below and mentioned different local customs that what we have here. Listen to them.

Thank you 👍

36 minutes ago, stpauls said:

In England most Trials are held on a Sunday. with only a few on Saturday, whose arrangements often differ from the following:  Trials usually start at 10.30.  Usually ten sections, 4 laps.  No break.  It depends on numbers and sections, but they usually last between 3 and 4 hours.  Cost is usually between £15 and £20.  Number of riders can be anywhere between 40 and 100, with 60 - 70 most likely.  There are usually 3 grades of difficulty:  Expert, Clubman and Novice.  Most Trials may have both Modern and Twinshock bikes.  If you are going for the first time enter the Novice.  Watch what the other riders do and follow them.  Most importantly, don't take it too seriously and HAVE FUN!

That’s great, thanks for the info 👍

Not like the good old days when you crepted back to the start, with cars flashing you on the road  as it was getting dark.. 30 odd sections and plus that in miles ... now five laps of five sections and home by 1.00, how times have sadly changed.

• Like 1

Hope you got there Hughie - another great Ixion trial. Sections 3 and 4 might have been a baptism of fire for a first trial on the easy route but you can always ask for fives when you do ride a trial. Always staggering how the sand banks of sections 7-10 dry out after the torrential rain yesterday!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, metisse said:

Not like the good old days when you crepted back to the start, with cars flashing you on the road  as it was getting dark.. 30 odd sections and plus that in miles ... now five laps of five sections and home by 1.00, how times have sadly changed.

I was talking about club trials, which are a fun bit of practice between the "proper" events, with a score kept for a bit of friendly rivalry.  You can get your underwear out of a knot now.

Good afternoon, thanks for the comments! Yes RR62 I did get there, but I didn’t bring the bike hence not messaging you. I was the ‘lurker’ wandering between the sections in a black coat and baseball cap, you may have seen me wandering about!

I decided I’d rather do a reccy first as I really didn’t have any idea what to expect and didn’t want to just jump in without a clue on the format, not knowing anyone, etc. Different if I was confident in the bike but I’ve not had chance to ride it properly at all yet. Although my figure 8’s on the drive were getting pretty tight later this afternoon!

I’m not sure that I actually saw all the sections but I saw most of what was happening in the top and bottom woods and a bit of what was going on on the steep banked part - have to say it tickled me watching Ken from Ixion blasting up it on his noisy old BSA complete with Dunlop wellies and Tesco carrier bag hanging over the handlebars - proper old school! Obviously been doing it for many years!

I met some really friendly people, one guy (I didn’t get his name unfortunately) I chatted to between sections said he would pass me his number at the end and I could join him and his riding friends for some practice. Also, Stuart from North Berks MCC was really welcoming and helpful so I will be entering their Autumn Trial in a fortnight as it sounds right up my street. And I bumped into a guy a knew from about 20 years ago, John Quigg, on one of the sections.

I now know the general format and feel more comfortable getting stuck in after seeing first hand how it all ‘works’. I’m not sure how beginner friendly some of the sections at Beckley were but there was nothing that looked particularly intimidating or that I wouldn’t have a crack at once I’m more familiar with the characteristics of the bike.

So all in all, a great mornings learning was done and I am now looking forward to getting riding!

I’ve asked for a lot of advice in the last couple of weeks so thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply, it’s been really helpful. 👍

Edited by Hughie
Punctuation
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, turbofurball said:

I was talking about club trials, which are a fun bit of practice between the "proper" events, with a score kept for a bit of friendly rivalry.  You can get your underwear out of a knot now.

Certainly not having to untangle any undergarments.. I seem to remember,  and things are somewhat clouded with age, that most weekends trials were like that.  Its a shame now that riders are happy to have a trial that lasts less time than a game of squash...well not quite,  but you get my drift... when back in the days of trials bikes with proper seats you had a full days sport. I appreciate times have changed, my point not always for the better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, metisse said:

Certainly not having to untangle any undergarments.. I seem to remember,  and things are somewhat clouded with age, that most weekends trials were like that.  Its a shame now that riders are happy to have a trial that lasts less time than a game of squash...well not quite,  but you get my drift... when back in the days of trials bikes with proper seats you had a full days sport. I appreciate times have changed, my point not always for the better.

Modern bikes would need you to stop and clean the carb, swap a new air filter, and have two oil changes by mid-afternoon if you had events that long.