Bike Prices After Covid

Krich

Hi All

I am new to trials after not riding for 25 years, I am looking at buying a bike and people I have spoken to are saying bikes are overpriced at the moment due to Covid. What are your thoughts? Should I wait to buy a bike and are the prices higher than usual? Many thanks.

Edited by Krich

My view is that the cheaper end is overpriced compared to what it was.  I agree totally with the post above, I also think it is likely to be a long wait for any change - if you have an old bike it is now worth more than you paid for it and people like that idea.

Bikes three or less years old are not as bad.  It is harder to get the higher price when a brand new bike is an alternative possibilty.  (I have seen Beta Alp at more than new prices to overcome the waiting list though)

If you can manage to get the budget buy the newer bike and you have a fair chance it will hardly depreciate as it ages.

Hi All

Many thanks for your replies, I had a trials day at Bumpy trials last weekend and we had a great time and I cant wait to get back into the sport, I am going to buy a newer bike maybe a 2019/20.

Thanks

Edited by Krich
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did you buy newer or older? 
Just curious as I was in the same position until 3 weeks ago when I bit the bullet and bought a 13 year old Beta Rev 3 for just under £1500. Maybe dearer than it should have been however it was still on its original rear tyre and didn’t look like it had seen much proper action at all.  I just didn’t  want to keep waiting for ‘the right priced bike’ to come along and I had a limited budget.

I have since trialled it once (my first trial) and fell off twice busting the front mudguard so quite happy to have an older bike to get started on …. There will doubtless be more damage to come! Still, I fell quite spectacularly (in my mind) and still managed a reasonable score of 34 on the easy route. Quite happy for my first attempt 🙂

Edited by Hughie
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

That is great that you enjoyed yourself at the trial with a good score.

I bought a lightly used 2021 beta 250, cant wait to go out on it. I am waiting for my tow bar to be installed to my car, so hopefully i can use it soon.