4rt E10 fuel

Olliemoo23

Has anybody had any performance issues susing the E10 fuel? My bike seems to lack the power it has when on e5 and also ticks over slot higher than normal? I've turned down the rev nut but it's still high and if I turn down anymore it won't start. Just curious if anybody else is having the same issues 

We must be lucky over here, we have, 98, 95 octane, standard 91, E10 & i think E85 ? I know the mover repair people etc say, DO NOT put any sort of E in a mower etc & even with the 91 unleaded don't let it sit for more than about a month with petrol in it ! I might  put E10 in a ford, but i wouldn't put it in anything of mine, this includes chainsaws etc !

E10 is the last resort. E5 has issues & present in most fuels, even Shell V Power. E10/5 goes off in no time. Ethanol very easy to remove completely, ( see You tube). Various alternatives here, i.e Aspen, classic fuel suppliers, Avgas (requires 50:50 cutting with normal fuel), etc, etc. 

15 hours ago, Olliemoo23 said:

Bought the bike previous owner ran it on E10, may try it on e5 next time out see if any different 

How many times did he run it on E10, it’s only been available for a few weeks?

And why would you even bother when E5 is still readily available!

Edited by suzuki250

At present (as best I see) in the UK the E10 is only normal (95) unleaded.  All the higher octane ratings are E5.  The whole debate about ethanol is largely nonsense and the idea it is a problem is much over estimated for anyone with a modern (post 1980s) bike.  Both the TRS and Beta I have ran badly on the old 95 E5 fuel and certainly the TRS seems much better on 99.  So I use Shell V Power and it is still E5.  I honestly doubt if the higher octane ratings fuels increase their ethanol it would have any effect on the bikes if I am honest.  So I would suggest any issues you have are from the octane rating rather than the formulation of the petrol.

8 hours ago, suzuki250 said:

And why would you even bother when E5 is still readily available!

We were riding in Wales before the "fuel shortage" and could only get E10 at two different fuel stations............................

to ALL riders, came across this e5/e10 issue because of the damage it does to plastic/f,glass tanks. It also does not work well with rubber seals or '0'rings !! hence anything prior to 2010?? NOT BEING SUITABLE FOR THIS FUEL[later cars/bikes use synthetic seals] after some research, it seems that only esso supreme plus is free from ee's although it does say e5 on the pump, ITS 98 OCTANE, and I am now using it in all my bikes, it seems to give better pick-up through the range so for the few pence more per litre its a fix.Hope this sort's your problem. Also on a similar note due to pick-up issues on my van, I tried some FTC additives to my fuel tank, and its that good I'm going to add them to my bikes, it's a catylist and yes I was skeptical but the van now run's impeccably without any other work, read the reviews. They are small disc's that you add to your fuel tank and do not need replacing, I'm thinking put two in each tank, the van set-up was about 8 put in when you fill up,[read instructions].Note get the discount code out off classic car magazine to get a discount on them.

The super Esso is E5 that is why it says so.  I also started to research this as the missus has a Ducati Monster and there was (and still is) a lot of BS on the internet about some bikes - the Monster being one - that don't run on E10.  Firstly the Monster runs OK on E10 and has had several tankfuls of it.  Second a lot of what one reads on the internet is written by nutters and climate change deniers, conspiracy theorists and so on.  That is why a lot of it starts in the US.

As best I can see the issue is that ethanol attracts water in a way that mineral based petrol does not.  There appears to be actual science behind that and so it is probably true.  For some materials, notably fibreglass that can be an issue.  Fibreglass is a stupid material to make fuel tanks from and after a short time manufacturers stopped using it.  Sadly (for us trials enthusiasts) the old Montesa had a fibre tank and was a good bike in every other respect.

I have read plastic can "expand" due to ethanol or the water in it.  I am unsure how that happens as plastic does not expand in water nor does it expand when exposed to ethanol.  Virtually all modern vehicles have plastic tanks.  The Ducati (and my TRS) have plastic tanks.  If the claim was true why does the incremental increase from 5% to 10% have the effect?  Surely the ethanol would have the same effect at any percentage big enough and 5 percent should be big enough?

I have read that ethanol causes "deposits" on some surfaces.  It does not as it is a volatile liquid.  Or that it "melts" some components.  It is easy to disprove these claims by immersing them in ethanol.

If there really is a problem it would appear to me that it is the water issue.  For us trials bike owners that is probably made worse by storing fuel in cans and in sheds.  So it really makes some sense to avoid the issue by using a lower percentage (E5) fuel and this is fortunate that higher octane fuels are E5.  Aspen has no ethanol but is 95 octane so too low for most bikes like my TRS.  I have no idea where one would buy high octane Aspen (I think it is called "racing"?)  Let's be honest no one does bar a few oddballs.  So we have to deal with the reality that we will have to use E5.  Since the racing world continues and thousands of people ride bikes throughout the world with no problems I feel it is fair to say there is not really an issue unless you have a vintage machine.

• Like 1

Ethanol all form of achalol -pardon spelling are hydroscopic. this means it absorbs moisture. it absorbs moisture right out of the air.  In america, fuels move tru pipe lines all over the country. the same pipe lines transport gasoline, jet fuel, deseil  crude oil and other fuels & chemicals.  this is done by having a liquid buffer that seperates these assorted fuels. alchaol can not be transported tru these lines, rusts the pipes, dissolves the buffer that seperates the fuels. it has to be transported by truck. and- the ethanol is made from plants- this is a crock of **** because - well just look at the price of food. - more money every time i go to the store--  meats - beef prices have skyrocketed here because of the weather- no rain, extreme heat.  the food should not be used to make this ethanol. period.   --   oh-- break fluid dot 3-4 - 5.1 is hydroscopic also. it absorbs H2O right tru the rubber brake lines.-  seals.  - off topic here-- loggers shoot every porky pine they see at logging sites-- why ?   because the like the smell &taste of brake fluid. at night they chew  holes in brake lines.  Brakes are a good thing to have on steep mountian roads !!   as for ethanol wrecking seals-- it depends what type of seals--  buna rubber-  viton- there are many many types made.     hope you all can read this with my lousy spelling-----

me agan-- There is one type of Alcohol that absorbs H2O, isopropyl alcohol. and not seperate.   in america, there is a brand used in cars for water in gasoline, its called heet. there is a yellow colored bottle- never use this. only use heet in the red bottle. its 100%  isopropyl alcohol.    pardon the spelling mistakes.