Beta Evo 2012 swing arm and linkage bushes orientation.

gazzaecowarrior

Just spent a few hours stripping down swing arm, suspension and linkages to regrease. All bearings looked fine so used a good quality grease and reassembled. I was just wondering if it matters what orientation the bushes have to go back. Obviously one side is longer than the other. I'm pretty sure I put them all back with the wide sided bush on the outside and thinner bush on the inside. Would it matter if I have got them the other way round. I only noticed they should go back in a certain way when I looked at the beta parts diagram today. I would rather not have to take it all apart again to check if it doesn't matter.

As far as I'm aware it doesn't make any difference.
I tend to swap the directions each time I grease them on the theory it will spread the wear more evenly. I also try to mark the loaded direction (rotation) when I dismantle and put them back rotated from that for the same reason.

Probably totally over the top, but I can, so I do.
I only do the main pivots every second dismantle of the linkages as they seem to stay better lubed and cleaner (and are more of a pain to do anyway).

If you had to undo the engine mounts to re-assemble the main pivot (pretty normal in my experience) then be careful of that lower rear mount bolt - it's dear as poison (titanium they claim) and I've had one snap when undoing it, let alone tightening it. I've had a squeak develop in the suspension a couple of times which is actually that bolt coming slightly loose and the frame moving relative to the engine when the suspension is loaded, took me ages to figure it out the first time!

4 hours ago, bikerpet said:

As far as I'm aware it doesn't make any difference.
I tend to swap the directions each time I grease them on the theory it will spread the wear more evenly. I also try to mark the loaded direction (rotation) when I dismantle and put them back rotated from that for the same reason.

Probably totally over the top, but I can, so I do.
I only do the main pivots every second dismantle of the linkages as they seem to stay better lubed and cleaner (and are more of a pain to do anyway).

If you had to undo the engine mounts to re-assemble the main pivot (pretty normal in my experience) then be careful of that lower rear mount bolt - it's dear as poison (titanium they claim) and I've had one snap when undoing it, let alone tightening it. I've had a squeak develop in the suspension a couple of times which is actually that bolt coming slightly loose and the frame moving relative to the engine when the suspension is loaded, took me ages to figure it out the first time!

Thanks for the informative response. I can see the benefits of reversing the bushes too now that you have mentioned it. 

I will do that the next time I pull them apart. It really was a fiddly little job.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:24 AM, gazzaecowarrior said:

Thanks for the informative response. I can see the benefits of reversing the bushes too now that you have mentioned it. 

I will do that the next time I pull them apart. It really was a fiddly little job.

No worries.

It gets quicker and easier. I find it's getting the long bolt through the bones and linkage that's the trickiest. But with a systematic approach it becomes quick and easy.