New member, but old Monty owner

TwoUpTourer

48 minutes ago, stpauls said:

You often see some Bultacos at English Trials, especially Classic Trials, but the old (real) Montesas are rare.  Wonder why?

Leven Valley 2 Day was won by Steve Robson on a Montesa and a very original one was being ridden very well by Craig Turpie this year. You might be surprised how good they are 😎 

• Like 2

I recon it's for the simple reason that they don't look quite as cool as Bultacos (also there's the rebel image of Bultaco, compared to Montesa which was run in a much more businesslike way).  There's shedloads of them here and yet it's very rare to see more than one or two at a trial.

Anyway, I wish my 349 looked as clean at that :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 3:53 PM, turbofurball said:

I recon it's for the simple reason that they don't look quite as cool as Bultacos (also there's the rebel image of Bultaco, compared to Montesa which was run in a much more businesslike way).  There's shedloads of them here and yet it's very rare to see more than one or two at a trial.

Anyway, I wish my 349 looked as clean at that :P

Personally, I think the Montesa looks more cool. And I was never aware of any sort of rebel image attached to Bultaco.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:35 AM, stpauls said:

You often see some Bultacos at English Trials, especially Classic Trials, but the old (real) Montesas are rare.  Wonder why?

I hate Montesas and my first love was Bultaco with my favourite being the 340, 199B.

However i have trialed a Mont 242 for a couple of years and as a stock bike its one of the best twinshocks ever made.

I dont know why the two makes are not loved equally as they certainly were back in the day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 12:33 PM, Stomp said:

Rose tinted specs or what? Some had real gearbox issues probably why there's not so many about ! 

some did many didnt. Some models much more than others. The 242 and susequent models 304 307 309 310 all had a similar bottom end and were pretty reliable gearboxes. I cant comment on the 348 349 330's.