Handle bar height

Hong27

Hi All,

New to trials, so be gentle 😁 have been a road bike man since way back when. Just after advice/thoughts really. Recently brought a 2nd hand Sherco ST250. It came fitted with higher bars as the previous owner was 6ft plus. He gave me the original bars. My question is, as I am of shorter stature (approx 5'9) would it be beneficial to me in anyway to refit the original bars. I understand there's thoughts of what feels better etc etc....but was just looking for peoples thoughts before going through the rigmarole of changing bars over etc. 

Many thanks in advance 😉

I'm 5'10 and use standard bars on my ST250 without problems.

My TY175 and Cota 349 have higher bars than stock, and my other half has back problems so she has risers on all her dirt bikes too, so your mileage may vary ;) It's better to be comfortable on the bike and slightly less competitive IMO.

• Thanks 1

If you have a track stand, or suitable blocks of wood, chock your bike up vertically, then stand on the pegs.   You should be able to stand with your hands not applying much pressure at all.   This goes for the fore and aft position of the bars as well as the height of them.   Also try left to right turns, is the forward bar end going beyond your reach..?    Hope you get it sorted to your position.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, phiggs said:

If you have a track stand, or suitable blocks of wood, chock your bike up vertically, then stand on the pegs.   You should be able to stand with your hands not applying much pressure at all.   This goes for the fore and aft position of the bars as well as the height of them.   Also try left to right turns, is the forward bar end going beyond your reach..?    Hope you get it sorted to your position.

Thank you for the advice. Must admit I put the original bars back on today with some new grips. Funny enough I done as you have just said above and set the bars up to what felt a lot better. Had a quick blat up the road and done a few tight turns and felt a lot easier, also I felt lighter on the bars. Tomorrow will tell. Thanks again for the advise everyone, much appreciated. 👍

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I've only seen one Professional Trials Rider with the Bars Higher than normal , Alex Ferrer when He was on Sherco , There's Pictures on Here somewhere of his bike with what looks like 5-8mm rise , And I think He's over 6ft . Don't Know if He uses Risers on his TRS / 

I'm 6'1 ... Riding 4 years , Previously into DH and Mx Then onto Trials in My late 30s (seems to be a thing with DH and MX people lol) .

Raised the Bars on My Previous 2 Sherco 300st by 5mm with the Jitsie Spacers, Felt really good and no wrist pain or back pain unless I was trail riding for hours ,

After progressing in the past two years I've Tilted My handlebars forward and this has helped me lifting the back wheel and seems more comfortable when the bike is stood up against an object , I can also lift the bike over logs and objects more easily on Zaps, This could just be in my mind , But it seems more comfortable and that makes me ride better regardless.

Even with the Handlebars really forward the 5-6mm rise seems to have made my TRS 300 RR seem way more comfortable. 

I run the Standard S3 Curve Foot Pegs that Came with the 2019 RR which some people report give them a slight back pain compared to the Flat Normal Type Foot Pegs that have been used for years on most bikes. The Curve Pegs definitely tilt You forward when You have both Wheels on the ground , But they feel good when the bike is on its back wheel.

I Dropped the S3 Curve pegs to the lowest point but kept the Markers at the Top of The Gold Tech forks (Steel) Just above the Top Triple Clamp at the stock height (about 4mm below the line at the top of the fork leg just below the adjusters.

This is the most comfortable position for Me on the TRS 300 RR so Far , Ill Try the Bars without the spacers for an hour and then with the spacers ,, always seem to prefer the spacers , Like many have said on here , LEAVE THEM ALONE AND RIDE , DOUGIE LAMPKIN IS TALL AND NEVER USED THEM ETC ETC ,,

However everyone is unique and If raising the Handlebars 5mm or a little more helps You feel more comfortable on Your Bike , Then that can only lead to the rider feeling more confident and enjoying the Bike more.

Does anyone out there know of anyone Riding a TRS with Risers , And If so please let us know . I'd be interested to Know the Pros and Cons from more experienced Trials Riders :)

PS NOTE FOR TRS ONE OWNERS OUT THERE , THE NUTS UNDER THE HANDLEBAR CLAMPS ARE 1/25TH PITCH M8 HEAT SPEC NUTS (LIKE NYLOCK NUTS BUT WITH A STEEL TAB INSTEAD OF NYLOCK) BUY THEM FROM TRS DEALERS AND SAVE YOURSELF THE MISERY OF SEARCHING HARD WEAR STORES

ONE NUT WAS SEIZED AND RESULTED IN A ROUNDED NUT , I PUT A SMALL SMIDGE OF COPPER GREASE ON THE PINS BEFORE TORQUING THE NUTS, ALSO THE STEEL PEGS / BOLTS SEEM TO JUST BE ONE SIZE ON THE TRS WEBSITE , IVE NOT SEEN AN OPTION FOR LONGER ONES , YOU CAN HOWEVER FLIP THEM UPSIDE DOWN TO GET A LONGER THREAD ON THE TOP SO YOU CAN POP SPACERS OR WASHERS ON TO RISE THE HANDLE BAR CLAMPS , BUT BE WARNED , IF YOU DO TURN THE PINS/BOLTS UPSIDE DOWN THERES ONLY 2-3 THREADS POPPING OUT BELOW THE NUTS METAL TAB , SO MAKE SURE ITS TORQUED TO SPEC (25nM According to Manual)