fuel mixture

skyrider

I put 50ml oil to 5 litres of fuel in my 2021 gas gas, however the recommendation is 70ml, but I find this causes excessive oil and carbon build up. But it depends on the bike make, its age and what the manufacturers recommend.

Use a good quality fully synthetic oil for better lubrication, cleaner burning and a crisp engine response. 

Until the what bike question is answered along with what oil then the answer is in the 25:1 to 200:1 range, or what it says in the manual, and that's before you add each riders perspective including those that insist on putting as much or as little in as they can get away with.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Way back in time when trials could be up to 40 miles in length, we used 32:1 ordinary oil.   On the long inter-section road links, the exhaust would finally heat up and cause a pretty good smoke screen behind you at full throttle in top gear. . . .  Once the trial was over there was still the 25 mile ride home on the bike.   Modern sections are hardly 100 yards apart, so different rules apply.

3 hours ago, phiggs said:

Way back in time when trials could be up to 40 miles in length, we used 32:1 ordinary oil.   On the long inter-section road links, the exhaust would finally heat up and cause a pretty good smoke screen behind you at full throttle in top gear. . . .  Once the trial was over there was still the 25 mile ride home on the bike.   Modern sections are hardly 100 yards apart, so different rules apply.

I drove 8 miles each way to watch a trial back a few months ago, on my ‘16 ST300, and swore off ever driving it down the road again. 

7 minutes ago, Nishijin said:

I drove 8 miles each way to watch a trial back a few months ago, on my ‘16 ST300, and swore off ever driving it down the road again. 

Twin shocks are relatively comfortable, some ride modern bikes with their shins on the footrests .......

41 minutes ago, b40rt said:

Twin shocks are relatively comfortable, some ride modern bikes with their shins on the footrests .......

Shins?!  When I'm cruising along on my Sherco with my bum on the bike my heels are on the pegs ... admittedly the cornering ability is limited, but with a top speed of about 30mph it's not really an issue :P

24 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

Shins?!  When I'm cruising along on my Sherco with my bum on the bike my heels are on the pegs ... admittedly the cornering ability is limited, but with a top speed of about 30mph it's not really an issue :P

35" inside leg ? ???

13 minutes ago, skyrider said:

so getting back to the oil thing i would like a beta rev3 what would be the thoughts on using the little plastic bottes of stihl oil as used for chain saws/ strimmers etc ( which the mix is 50 to 1)

It's much cheaper to just get 2 stroke oil and mix it yourself, it's not hard to do just get a 10L fuel container, stick exactly 10L in it at the pump, chuck in 200mL of oil, give it a shake and you're good to go.

I keep my Stihl fuel for my chainsaw, because it can sit on a shelf for a long time without going off - not much risk of that with the trials bike, lol