Trials bike - returning to trials

Rosscorob

Hi folks. 

I was looking for some advice please. I used to ride trials when I was younger and plan on getting back into it.  I was looking at the beta evo 200 and wondered what the thoughts were in comparison to the 250? I would be spending am extra 1k for the 200 and I'm not sure if it is worth the extra? 

I wasn't aware of a clear difference in values between the 200 and 250, but if that's so, it sort of answers your question. The 200 is £1000 better (according to enough people to influence the price). When I was looking for a modern-ish petrol bike I was persuaded by opinions so I was looking for a 200, but I couldn't find one. So I bought a 250 and was pretty happy with it.

That’s why prices are higher, as you say you couldn’t find one. They don’t come up for sale as often, as there are tons of 250,s and 300,s. The 200 has always been acclaimed as one of the best Clubman bikes you can buy. People new to the sport often get hung up about cc’s often opting for 300’s, having their arms yanked out of their sockets and then selling them. If your able go to somewhere like Inch Perfect Trials where you can try out the models you fancy. Other dealers are available.

• Like 1

If the price is higher for a use 200 because there is less offer maybe it's simply because 200 new bike sale is lower than 250. That beying said, you don't see many 200 owners complaining about them, on the other hand a 250 is also nice to ride. What you plan to do, where you plan to ride and your budget: these are the things that should guide you for your purchace. Evrebody will tell you that the condition of the bike is the first thing you should look at.

Guy

Thanks for all the replies folks. I went for the 200. Everything sounded mint when I collected it but noticed when I got home and had a proper go that when I popped it into gear it started to stall even with the clutch lever engaged. I then noticed the bolt/pin on the clutch lever that feeds into the piston has sheered. I don't imagine this is a big fix?  Cheers.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 10:58 PM, Rosscorob said:

Thanks for all the replies folks. I went for the 200. Everything sounded mint when I collected it but noticed when I got home and had a proper go that when I popped it into gear it started to stall even with the clutch lever engaged. I then noticed the bolt/pin on the clutch lever that feeds into the piston has sheered. I don't imagine this is a big fix?  Cheers.

If I read you right, the little pushrod between the clutch lever and the piston in the m/c is broken in some way. In which case getting a new pushrod and adjusting it properly should solve your problem. Be sure to leave a little bit of clearance when you adjust it.

Bear in mind that Betas are notorious for 'cold stick'; the clutch plates are reluctant to free off when the bike has been standing. This varies from a bit of a clonk when engaging gear, to needing to put the front wheel against something solid when engaging gear for the first time from cold. There's a huge thread in the Beta section called 'The Beta Clutch Fix', should you need it. Or you may find yours is not too bad and you find a way to live with it.