Run away drop off

Simpjd

Just starting out in trials and was hoping for some advice with an issue I’m having.

I’m now reasonably confident with basic balance and control on flat stuff and going over small stuff (up to say 50cm).

Ive also starting rolling down banks reasonable confidentially, even steeper ones say getting on for 45deg+.

I’m having an issue that I’ve experienced twice now when trying a drop off. When I practice a drop off on a token ledge (30cm onto flat ground), it all goes fine. But when I try something bigger or a drop off that’s onto a hill, I’ve had this issue that the bike starts to rapidly accelerate around when my front wheel touches the ground, it flys away and I fall off! I’m convinced this is my fault and not the bike (as is usually the case)!

I managed to get some rough footage of when this last happened to me, and my assumption is this; when I approach a roll off, I position my body weight to the back of the bike at the top of the hill/step and roll down fine. When I try drop off initially I’m stood up to compress and initiate a small wheelie, when the front wheel goes over and the bike drops changing it’s angle my body position changes causing me to inadvertently twist the throttle….I think!

If this is the case, I guess it’s about getting the body position correct before the bike starts to fall…

If I’m correct in my assumption, surely this is a common rookie mistake that people make? Has anyone else experienced this?

71DFAA7A-7818-479E-8E7E-0B15342D6A9E.jpeg

25DF6F01-DA61-4B1D-A992-048D98C5A311.jpeg

A9AA9968-9F2F-48BA-B62F-9461E1A665F5.jpeg

Probably worth adding that when the bike starts to rev high unexpectedly and shoot off, I think my reactions have been to grip harder and also sit down, which is probably making it worse….but surely it shouldn’t be reving unexpectedly in the first place!

01E65CE9-62F2-4141-BD02-43645CCE02B1.jpeg

I'm no expert but have a look at this film it may help you. If your hand is blipping the throttle as you land it will cause the bike to jerk and as it pulls away you will be gripping the throttle tighter and twisting it by accident.

Try adjusting more slack in the throttle cable until you feel comfortable. That way nothing happens from a small blip. Once you are confident adjust the slack back out as it will be a hinderance for other obstacles.

MotoTrials How To: Basic Drop Offs with Pat Smage - YouTube

2 hours ago, eddie1 said:

I'm no expert but have a look at this film it may help you. If your hand is blipping the throttle as you land it will cause the bike to jerk and as it pulls away you will be gripping the throttle tighter and twisting it by accident.

Try adjusting more slack in the throttle cable until you feel comfortable. That way nothing happens from a small blip. Once you are confident adjust the slack back out as it will be a hinderance for other obstacles.

MotoTrials How To: Basic Drop Offs with Pat Smage - YouTube

What he said ^^^^  Defiantly try a bit more slack in the throttle cable, and try to consciously relax your hands.

Relevant. You don’t need to land on the gas like in MX. But pay attention to what Ryno is saying about body position and your knees. From your pics it looks like as you land you are falling back and down into a squat and pulling on the bars a bit, just as Ryan warns can happen in an mx jump landing. 

We call that whiskey throttle on this side of the pond. You have moved you hand to where you cannot move the throttle back to the idle position.  When you hit your wrist is pulling the throrrle even more. Slow the whole movement down and get to the clutch quicker.

Also your levers are too low to ever have full control. 

• Like 1

Your last picture in that second post sure looks like what linaway is saying.  The levers look low and if that is the case it would defiantly cause throttle issues (whiskey throttle or other throttle control issues) to happen.  It seems counter to bring them up and can feel strange when you first do it but its well worth it and will/can make trials riding so much better. 

Good luck.