Ways to cool down motor and controller

Oded

My son (13 years old) is Using the Oset 24 mostly for enduro.

Bike's motor & controller are getting very warm, and go into limp mode. Can happen after 15 minutes of riding.

Added a computer fan to cool the controller, but it's not very useful. 

Any suggestions? Motor is sizzling hot and so is the controller. Heat sink? Cold packs? 

Sounds like its not really suitable for Enduro, 

Average speed will be higher than trials, plus distance traveled would normally be longer as well I would have thought.

I know I am old fashioned, but electric bikes still have a lot more work needed to be better than a petrol bike

I think even the electric race at the Isle of Man TT is still only 1 lap, and those bikes have had a fortune spent on them

The trick is to cool the electrics without using any battery power as that will just shorten the range- if you can invent something Tesla will give you millions

good luck

On 11/5/2021 at 9:36 AM, djr said:

I know I am old fashioned, but electric bikes still have a lot more work needed to be better than a petrol bike

Yes, you're definitely old-fashioned. Try the latest generation (2020 onwards) Electric Motion. For my purposes, the EM is most definitely better than a petrol bike.

Having said that, I do think Oset are getting left behind. They've really missed a trick when you consider that they were the market leaders in electric bikes. But they grew out of providing back-garden toys for kids and they haven't quite cottoned on to the adult market. Sur-Ron are getting rave reviews from people who have ridden them, so I think they might well gat the jump on Oset when they get into the UK market.

6 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Yes, you're definitely old-fashioned. Try the latest generation (2020 onwards) Electric Motion. For my purposes, the EM is most definitely better than a petrol bike.

Having said that, I do think Oset are getting left behind. They've really missed a trick when you consider that they were the market leaders in electric bikes. But they grew out of providing back-garden toys for kids and they haven't quite cottoned on to the adult market. Sur-Ron are getting rave reviews from people who have ridden them, so I think they might well gat the jump on Oset when they get into the UK market.

Okay, so how would an electric bike do in the International Six Day Enduro ?

( I suppose you could  ask for a rule change - permission for much longer stops for the hours needed for recharging compared to minutes to refuel, that sort of thing

or perhaps change batteries , but decent batteries cost £thousands compared to a petrol can + some fuel at say £20 )

As I mentioned , the very expensive, cutting edge electric prototypes only do one lap at the  Isle of Man, ( presumably to avoid overheating / flat battery etc. )

No thanks , I haven't seen an electric bike yet that i would want to own

Edited by djr
spelling

On 11/6/2021 at 7:17 PM, djr said:

Okay, so how would an electric bike do in the International Six Day Enduro ?

( I suppose you could  ask for a rule change - permission for much longer stops for the hours needed for recharging compared to minutes to refuel, that sort of thing

or perhaps change batteries , but decent batteries cost £thousands compared to a petrol can + some fuel at say £20 )

As I mentioned , the very expensive, cutting edge electric prototypes only do one lap at the  Isle of Man, ( presumably to avoid overheating / flat battery etc. )

No thanks , I haven't seen an electric bike yet that i would want to own

This is a trials forum, so I am commenting about electric trials bikes. The ISDE is a totally different type of event, though if you can afford to do it you can probably afford a couple of spare batteries.

Electric Motion claim 3-4 hours for the ePure. I think that's conservative. I did a club trial at the weekend with four fairly long laps. It took me a total of 3 hours 40 minutes so that might be 3 hours of riding. I finished with the battery still on 62%. Each to their own, but the electric trials bike is ideal for me.