Flooded engine

mick annick

A few weeks ago I made a mistake - I left the fuel tap on, which coincided with a stuck float in the carb, went into the garage after being away for a week to a strong smell of petrol. Stripped and cleaned the carb and all sorted.

But, today decided to repaint the exhaust, so started to remove it when petrol started pouring out of the exhaust port! I put a tray underneath, removed the plug and gently turned over the engine - got about half a litre out so far… I’ve squirted a bit of oil down the plug hole and turned the engine over a few times, but the question is will I have done any damage? The crank seals are new - I replaced them a couple of months back - should I pull off both side covers to see if any fuel has got through?

Thanks

Engine is probably OK as I see it. Avoid putting the bike into flames when kicking with spark plug out and lots of petrol in the engine as you might need more of it. When attempting to start you often need lots of  throttle.

If engine seems to run OK it is most likely OK and no harm done, but you may have to check you float valve for defects and of course your float level

• Thanks 1

I agree with Carl, it's unlikely you've done any damage. By their nature, crank seals have to be made of a material unaffected by fuel and oil.

You should make a serious effort to remove surplus fuel. Assuming you don't want to remove the engine, turn the bike upside down with the spark plug out and turn the engine over slowly a couple of times.

My main concern would be that you have washed the mains, big-end and bore clean of oil. If I were you I would make up a small quantity of fuel with a stupidly rich oil mix in it (10:1 maybe). Fill the float bowl with that and try to start the engine. If it starts, let the engine run slowly until the float bowl runs dry (or you choke on the fumes!).  If it won't start and oils the plug, repeat with a less oily mixture. I don't know if that is necessary or how well it would work, but it's what I would do as a precaution.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trapezeartist said:

I agree with Carl, it's unlikely you've done any damage. By their nature, crank seals have to be made of a material unaffected by fuel and oil.

You should make a serious effort to remove surplus fuel. Assuming you don't want to remove the engine, turn the bike upside down with the spark plug out and turn the engine over slowly a couple of times.

My main concern would be that you have washed the mains, big-end and bore clean of oil. If I were you I would make up a small quantity of fuel with a stupidly rich oil mix in it (10:1 maybe). Fill the float bowl with that and try to start the engine. If it starts, let the engine run slowly until the float bowl runs dry (or you choke on the fumes!).  If it won't start and oils the plug, repeat with a less oily mixture. I don't know if that is necessary or how well it would work, but it's what I would do as a precaution.

Engine is probably full of oil left when petrol evaporated. I'd kick it over with plug out, even drop some down the plug hole.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s been a while, but having drained out all of the fuel and repainted the exhaust  I’ve got it running again, though a couple of times it started making a loud rattling noise! I took the clutch cover off (not easy tracing engine noises) but nothing amiss in there, so just hoping it doesn’t return.

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2021 at 4:59 PM, mick annick said:

It’s been a while, but having drained out all of the fuel and repainted the exhaust  I’ve got it running again, though a couple of times it started making a loud rattling noise! I took the clutch cover off (not easy tracing engine noises) but nothing amiss in there, so just hoping it doesn’t return.

I’ve not ridden much lately, but I’m still getting the death rattle, though intermittently- any ideas please? I’ve had the clutch cover off but nothing amiss there, strange that it doesn’t do it all the time.