Montesa Cota 247 fork assembly question

Niro

Hi all,

I'm try to install back the fork of 1970 Cota 247 with no result. 

I can't figure out how to push back the plunger assembly to the inner rod. It seems the parts in the plunger don't fit back inside the rod tube smoothly. 

I also can't figure out what side of the internal spacer suppose to go on the plunger- the side that sits on the plunger small spring and allow the spring to move, or the other side that cover the spring. 

from where should I push the plunger back inside the rod- from the bottom part of the rod or the upper part (where the caps thread)

Also- is it right to assume that after I put everything back- the plunger should go up and down smoothly in the rod?

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thank you. 

It's usually easier to fit the damper rod and piston (plunger) in from the top but sometimes there is rust in the upper part of the tube so if yours is rusty you should either make it smooth or fit the damper rod from the bottom end.

As for your other questions I don't understand what you are asking.

feetupfun- thank you for your answer.

I will try to explain myself with photos as regard to my other question. 

I'm asking about the part in the black and white photo that I marked with red arrow. I think it called internal spacer.

I can't figure out in which side to put it back. It has some grove inside in one side.

In photo A the internal spacer cover the small spring, and therefor the spring can't compress.

In photo B the internal spacer touches the ring before the spring, and the spring can be compress.

Which is the correct way the internal spacer needs to be mount?

Thanks

IMG_6056.jpeg

IMG_6057.jpeg

IMG_6062.jpeg

10 hours ago, Niro said:

Thank you very much! 

So for my knowledge- What is the purpose of the spring? against what he compress? 

The spring and the square piece that the spring acts on function as a non-return valve or maybe a better term is an excess flow valve

Edited by feetupfun

5 hours ago, feetupfun said:

The spring and the square piece that the spring acts on function as a non-return valve or maybe a better term is an excess flow valve

I learned something new! cheers.

2 more questions please:

1. what kind of fork oil you use?

2. generally speaking- can you mount forks from newer models of Cota 247 on early Cota 247? 

8 hours ago, Niro said:

I learned something new! cheers.

2 more questions please:

1. what kind of fork oil you use?

2. generally speaking- can you mount forks from newer models of Cota 247 on early Cota 247? 

1. I use different fork oil in different bikes, ranging from 5WT to 30WT. Bel-Ray, Maxima, Motul, Castrol, Penrite.

2. I have no knowledge of the dimensions of the forks from the first model 247. They are probably 35mm tubes, but may be a different length, travel or axle offset to the later 247 forks.