Thumb Throttle on a trials bike

leosantanalg

20 hours ago, b40rt said:

Should work well in conjunction with a rekluse clutch 👍👍 

Why are you so angry ? It's your bike, do whatever bizarre modifications you want !

I m not angry!! not sure where you got that... Rekluse has its applications for begginers in enduro! as for trials, there is something called a clake that combines clutch and rear brake!! it's borther line genius but requires a lot of tune up and limits the rider in some aspects. I had one installed for while and learned a lot from it. I believe is the best way to really teach a rider the importance of rear brake and how to time it

20 hours ago, turbofurball said:

I'd guess having to use a single digit rather than any part of the hand would make it tricky to control.  Given many early bikes had that sort of lever for the throttle, but everyone settled on the current system eventually, is also something that comes to mind - there must have been reasons.  I'm curious to know where a thumb throttle would be normal equipment, like on a farmer's snowmobile or something, or if it's for people who have problems with their hands like the double-levers for single-handed riders that stunt riders also use.

Add me to the list of people curious as to how this pans out! :)

A thumb throttle is normal equipment in Snowmobile, jetskis, quads etc...

Also the best Moto stunts in the world have recently shift to Thumb Throttle what makes one question... they make trials guys look like beginners and share a lot of similar skills when comes to trick riding.  also there is an explanation for the snowmobiles: safety. If you ever seen a person fall off the pegs on a bike you will understand. when you dont have footing the only place to hold is the handle bar and the throttle is usually wide open. Reality is: throttle "control is not even important in trials"  the quotation if from Adam Raga. Clutch control is far more important. so the idea is that a thumb throttle would improve grip while holding pressure and moving the body down at same time without causing the unwanted acceleration (in my case). the hardest part will be to fit a nice mechanism that is ergonomic and responds well. I m pretty sure would become a matter of preference if manufactures offered both styles! but as most will think, If Tony doesn't use, it must not be good, right???     

14 hours ago, billyt said:

The latter is VERY hard to do and control with any fitness on a trials bike especially at the higher levels

and How do you explain the top moto stunts in the world all using thumb throttle now?? I got the points though, It's one of those (hard to believe) and as you suggested, I have to try for my self! thanks for the input 

6 hours ago, leosantanalg said:

and How do you explain the top moto stunts in the world all using thumb throttle now?? I got the points though, It's one of those (hard to believe) and as you suggested, I have to try for my self! thanks for the input 

I'd assume that a thumb throttle is more intuitively on or off - ie - dumbing it down ?? 

• Like 1

Not going to say a thumb throttle will not provide the extra control or not as I wouldn't know having never tried one on a trials bike, but I sure wouldn't expect it to. 

When I think of the kind of moves your talking about trying to use the thumb throttle to help with I have to consider the trials training sessions I have attended... At them I was taught to use the clutch to manage the landing of bigger moves like you indicated. 

Really not trying to be a nay-Sayer and hop it works for you if you do try...

Good luck, and I am interested in hearing how it goes if you do end up giving it a try.  :popcorn:

Edited by jonnyc21

19 hours ago, leosantanalg said:

Reality is: "throttle control is not even important in trials"  the quotation if from Adam Raga. Clutch control is far more important.     

This may well be the case at world level trials (my bold) where the style is different than most of us are accustomed to. But, its a combination of throttle, clutch, brake and body positioning - reacting in sync that makes a good all round trials rider. Learning to time all these so that you get the desired effect takes years of practice and skill. I guess the benefit of better clutch control is that if you miss time the throttle you can pick this up with the clutch.

Try the thumb throttle and let us know how you go on, I'm interested to see if you do find a benefit. maybe with the modern style of riding where the clutch is heavily relied on may suit the thumb throttle. 

A thumb throttle on a EM motion is an accident waiting to happen.  

We should be encouraging experimentation as it takes the sport of trials forward.

We should also respect those people and ideas that came prior and learn from of it

Everything comes around full circle as there is nothing really new and earth shattering to-date.

Like in the past the "thumb throttle" conversation will have its moment, debate experimentation will ensue and then slip into the long list of "what ifs".

Its all good stuff and keeps  experimentation alive.

• Like 1

The thump throttel indeed solves the problem of grip to the handlebar while riding in addition to the position of the throttle tube. 

I can remind myself beeing in several incidents where a bad position of my hand while giving throttle did not support my riding and vica verce. 

Here the thump throttle has an advantage. The disadvantage is in my view the adjustability and stability here I still think the standard gas throttle has an advantage as far as I have used agricultural and forestry machines with a thump throttle. 

And as both exists and we formerly had thumo throttle on bikes of the ore war era and this ergonomics has vanished the question is why and why shozld it for motorcyckes be reinvented? 

I personal don't like the thump throttle it is my view nit so stable, I like the throttle grip, zoo the throttle lever like a break lever or as on motorsaws the push button.