Toni Bou

aderio

2 hours ago, b40rt said:

I'd love to see him in a real trial like the Scott or SSDT 😎

It will never happen, well at least not until he retires from top level trials. 

3 reasons, possibly more 

1. The SSDT, though still in my opinion the best trial in the world, has lost its status and appeal to the world runners, and the style of modern riding is not as suited to the style of the event. 

2. The cost & effort for a foreign team to compete in the trial doesn't warrant the prestige the trial now lacks at top level.

3. Though welcomed by most, the threat of someone like Toni Bou coming and winning such a trial doesn't appeal to the status quo. He would likely be heavily penalised at every opportunity while more popular regular top runners get away with murder as usual. (I have witnessed many times some very dodgy decisions given in favour of top popular riders)

Shame really cause I would love to ride in a trial along side Toni Bou and would love it if he was able to attempt a win fair an square. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Intotrials said:

It will never happen, well at least not until he retires from top level trials. 

3 reasons, possibly more 

1. The SSDT, though still in my opinion the best trial in the world, has lost its status and appeal to the world runners, and the style of modern riding is not as suited to the style of the event. 

2. The cost & effort for a foreign team to compete in the trial doesn't warrant the prestige the trial now lacks at top level.

3. Though welcomed by most, the threat of someone like Toni Bou coming and winning such a trial doesn't appeal to the status quo. He would likely be heavily penalised at every opportunity while more popular regular top runners get away with murder as usual. (I have witnessed many times some very dodgy decisions given in favour of top popular riders)

Shame really cause I would love to ride in a trial along side Toni Bou and would love it if he was able to attempt a win fair an square. 

If No 3 is true, that really saddens me.☹️

On 11/12/2021 at 10:38 PM, trapezeartist said:

If No 3 is true, that really saddens me.☹️

Unfortunately I have witnessed with my own eyes a top Spanish rider who competed a few years back be given a very harsh result on a section. Counter to this, a top British rider given, well lets just say... so long as the bike eventually got to the ends by one means or another, he got a favourable result. 

Don't get me wrong I have competed in the trial many times, the club, the volunteers and all involved should be commended for putting on what I still believe is the best trial in the world! I would just like to see the top riders back in the frame, and they should be encouraged to do so by their teams and sponsors... I'd like to see them have a fair crack at the trial with consistent observing for all riders across the board. I think it would also boost the prestige of the trial once more, and encourage the younger generation from all countries to give it a go, and/or even make it their goal to win it some day. 

Lets hope that Toni does decide to give it a go like he once mentioned 10+ years ago! 

• Like 1

All I can say is he'll get the benefit of the doubt when I'm observing just like the rest. I wouldn't want to cost a top rider a result on a dodgy decision and let's be honest most riders are brand new and even the odd dick is tolerated at the trials, yes even me.

I would say if anyone's planning a SSDT foray get it done as the writings on the wall for these big events. In a few years we'll be lucky to ride off road let alone over half  of Scotland. I hear there's over 500 entries for next year so maybe there's a few thinking like me?