Down to earth with a thump!

NoTraction

So today I did my second ever trial.

My first trial was about a month ago in Standlake Woods near Oxford, hosted by North Berks MCC. I entered the lowest group I could and amazed myself by managing to complete all four rounds of ten sections on the novice route with an overall score of about 34 or 35. I was extremely chuffed with this and despite splitting my front mudguard went home full of confidence and looking forward to the next one.

Today was my second trial at Beckley, Oxford Ixion MCC. I rocked up feeling quite confident but, OMG, it was a completely different experience. Obviously it’s been wet recently but most of the sections were either up or down (or both)  steep slippery banks with some pretty tight turns thrown on on the beginner route. In four hours I managed one full circuit plus  three sections, flipped the bike at least three times, got pinned underneath it, got stuck in a couple of bogs and basically slipped and slid all over the place. I think I spent as much time on my backside or paddling as I did on the pegs. It would have felt better if there were a few easier sections to dilute it but I pretty much struggled with all but a couple (and I didn’t  clean those!) Not an encouraging experience.

So, slightly deflated and completely knackered from dragging the bike out of the bogs (although I still basically enjoyed myself) I have realised I really need some training and guidance. I’d rather be taught some tips and tricks by someone with experience than learn entirely by my mistakes if possible. At 53 , if I can ‘fast track’ the learning curve in any way it would be a massive help!

Does anyone have any recommendations? I’m near Oxford, happy to travel but the nearer the better. But I could really use some help if there’s any out there.

Edited by Hughie

It happens, one "beginner / intermediate" trial I turned up to had been laid out by someone who doesn't ride trials, and it was pretty much all advanced / expert ... I got to the finish of one section, dumped my bike on three others, and the rest I skipped because I couldn't work out how to get a bike around them without breaking a leg.

My hot tip for beginners in the Berks area would be Mortimer Fun Trials, excellent for gradually challenging yourself without risk of serious injury.

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll look into that one. I’m all up for challenge but it would be good to get some easyish going in for starters if possible. Would like to build up to some of the more challenging stuff as my confidence grows rather than be thrown in the deep end! Would be great to get a bit of training as well though.

Edited by Hughie

4 hours ago, turbofurball said:

It happens, one "beginner / intermediate" trial I turned up to had been laid out by someone who doesn't ride trials, and it was pretty much all advanced / expert ... I got to the finish of one section, dumped my bike on three others, and the rest I skipped because I couldn't work out how to get a bike around them without breaking a leg.

My hot tip for beginners in the Berks area would be Mortimer Fun Trials, excellent for gradually challenging yourself without risk of serious injury.

I cant find anything online about that, is it a current thing? All I can find is Mortimer Classic MCC but they seem more about pre 65 motocross. Nothing about fun trials anywhere?

Fun Trials are excellent, because you can begin just getting from the start to the end but their locations are chosen with a view to being able to up your own difficulty as you see fit - some more advanced riders will get through the sections hopping, weaving, etc.

And if you hang around you can get a lot of space all to yourself to keep trying stuff until you get it right, because lots of people go home for lunch :)

• Thanks 1

That does sound good! They have one this Saturday, it’s about 60 miles from me. However, the organiser of the trial I did on Saturday has invited me to go along with the club to a trial at High Wycombe (Stokenchurch). Thinking I should show willing, they all seemed pretty supportive despite my inability to stay upright! I’m going to try me find out what the weathers doing and what the terrain is like at Wycombe. If it’s all muddy slopes and is going to be wet I might give it a miss this time round….

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rr62 said:

You’d love the 2nd & 4th Sundays at Denham Aerodrome - HUX. For the Wycombe/Ixion type trials it would be really good practice and a great bunch. 

When you say ‘Wycombe and Ixion Type’, what do you mean? I’ve only been to two trials so far and don’t have much to compare to. Are they similar to each other, ie muddy banks, boggy when wet etc? It would be good to hear what Wycombe/Stokenchurch is like, and Denham for comparison. Would you be able to give me a heads up?