Newish Rider - Bike swap recommendations

joeroberts37

Hi -- Looking for some seasoned advice.  I'm brand new to trials, not new to bikes.  I've been street riding for 20 yrs - big track/ supermoto/ canyon carving. 

I scooped up a 2014 GG 300 txt 2 months ago.  Price/ location/ and very low hours checked the box and it was a done deal.  Great bike, great condition.  I bought it without ever riding one.  The more I ride, I can't help but think I may have a little too much bike.  One competition so far -- rode INT and finished mid pack.  Silly dabs and some new to me obstacles that 5'd me.  Gave me some stuff to work on.  I've been practicing 2-3hrs per week.

I'm 6'4" and 230#'s - late 30's age and athletic build.  I can practice at my house (2 acres), but noise is a concern.  I'd like to stay discrete as possible.  I'm not in love with GG so I don't mind swapping bikes.  I'm barely reving the bike for the class I am in. I anticipate moving to sportsman next year at some point as skill advances.  Really leaning towards a 4t -- montesa or beta?  Any seasoned people made a similar journey that can offer advice?  I'd really like a ride on an electric EM, but those are near impossible at the moment from what I gather.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by joeroberts37

Beta evo 3004t is the smoothest powered bike I’ve ever owned. Very quiet with linear power, loads of bottom end and power builds very  smoothly. Montesa owners will tell you the build quality is excellent, I agree although never had any issues with either of my Betas, both are very good if you like the way a 4 stroke rides.  Try one first as the riding style is different and not everyone takes to a 4stroke

4t noise trends to travel further even if the bike seems quieter to the rider.

300 GG can be a bit of a beast, but they can be tamed with a low comp head and retarded timing and in this state of tune they are very user friendly.

Edited by totty79
  • Like 1

Both Mont and Beta 4 strokes are very nice to ride but are quite different in power delivery and both are quite different to a 2 stroke. People changing from 2 stroke to 4 stroke in trials either persist long enough to eventually become as good as they were on a 2 stroke, or give it up as a bad joke and get another 2 stroke, or an electric, which is yet another learning curve.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to tame down your GasGas and then when you have got used to trials competition riding you can change it back to standard and have a ball.

Great feedback. Thanks! I am not to concerned about adapting to a 4stroke vs 2stroke as my peg time on a 2stroke is weeks vs years. Ive always favored torque over revs - vtwin street bikes (sv650/ aprilia/ buell) for the torque grunt. I like the idea of a low comp head on the 300... I am already in rain mode on the gg.

Is the 4 stroke lower decibels than the 2 stroke counter part? Mixed research from google.

My goal is to focus on technique for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by joeroberts37

4t is quieter, it’s a less “offensive” sound to many people, maybe not the best way to describe it. It’s less. 2 strokey 😂 The beta is quieter to the ear I think. Definitely more of a low down torque feel particularly at the easier end of trials when you don’t need big handfuls of gas to get up and over everything. Less revving and slipping of clutch needed for general riding with 4t until you start doing more expert style riding.  Personally I love the engine braking. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...