4RT linkage overhaul

tsiklonaut

Bought a nice s/h 2016 4RT Repsol. 

One thing I noticed there's a bit slack in the rear likage, so I reckon I need to replace those bearings to make it tight and smooth again.

Anyone done it, any pointers what replacement parts to order, Allballs kit?

Edited by tsiklonaut

if its just a bit slack then try a re grease

If not All balls kits is ok.

You can try and do with swing arm in or out  - used to leave it in but now preferer to take swing arm out.

Use a bungy around the exhaust and onto spindle slot on swing arm to hold it up while you undo bolts etc. Takes the weight nicely

Use suitable sockets and vice to push old out and new in.

Remember which side the linkage bolts come out as a bit of a fiddle if you have a stand still on the bike and also need to jiggle through chain slipper and swing arm.

I engrave/scratch onto the dog bone and side plates with left/right and an up arrow as soon as I take them out as easy to get mixed up plates and 

Probably an hours work

All the best

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Got the Allballs kit.

The slack is quite noticable.

Started to work on it, visually the linkage looks allright:

IMG_4134.thumb.jpg.bd7d847546a9c6e323e7741e28ab7e07.jpg

In the end took me couple of hours actually, since they were like crap so I did it properly. See how bad they looked inside - completely dry and done:

IMG_4138.thumb.jpg.85a65fbbefaced2975891f4be3814524.jpg

Cleaned and relubed the swingarm bearings as well, they were allright, smooth and tight, with no slack what so ever:

IMG_4137.thumb.jpg.2bb5f9db7bbdcf9a538b68aadbe0f51e.jpg

The dog bone has gotten a little bump so the bearings didn't come out and went in that easy. Got to work it, but the bearing to bushing was a bit tighter compared to others so I probably have to get a new dog bone someday.

The final collection of old bearings and bushings give a good indication how bad they were:

IMG_4140.thumb.jpg.f6cc189c0e96619dd2d772532e7ce1c0.jpg

After installing the new bearings and bushings I noticed the bike immediately is transformed. Rear end is sharp and bouncy, I now have to reduce rebound quite a bit since it was adjusted to that bad linkage movement. My rear end now flyes up considerably easier on rear-end lifted turns and takes landing from jumps considerably smoother. As I said, the bike really transformed.

Hence this work was long overdue and I am glad I did it. Hence if you have similar slack - you ought to check the linkage.

Edited by tsiklonaut
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, jimmyl said:

Regrease every couple of months and will avoid getting into condition you found it.

Regrease leaving swing arm in is not a major job

It's a decent advice, will definitely do it more often to keep them lubed and fresh.

I reckon it depends how much you ride in dirt and water, or in very hot conditions, that'd shorten the required relubing interval dramatically.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The original Honda spacers and bushes are far better than the allballs cak. The spherical shock bearing has got to be the Honda one, it’s not cheap, but there is no comparison. (Don’t even consider the allballs one, there will be play) Top quality HK1512 roller bearings can be bought from local bearing traders at a decent price.

• Like 1