Linkage design & serviceability comparisons?

matchymarty

Hi all, 
Have scoured the WWW's for some time looking for the information I'm after to no avail.

I currently own a 2021 GG TXT Racing 250, and a 2018 TRS One 125 (my partners).  
I bought the TRS second hand sight unseen and had to rebuild everything - to the point of new linkages and bearings, and fork stanchions and bushes, wheel bearings, MC's, calipers and piston and rings.  I did the rear end and wheel bearings and a few other jobs myself.  

After building and installing the TRS linkages and swing arm, I found it imensely easier to work on and quicker, than my GG  (and previous 2014 GG) , which I just stripped and lubed the swing arm bearings and linkages.

Just wondering:  I often find myself lusting over a Beta Evo , and wonder if if anyone has had experience with all the brands of Trials bikes, (current) and know the fors and againsts of serviceability and, rideability of the various designs of suspension?  (also not to mention things like spark plug access etc... as I do believe Vertigo's need the gas tank removed to get to the plug??)

From what I can gather (from owning a GG and TRS) - i'm guessing all Trials bikes have play in the rear ends, even when looked after.  My GG has developed play, after around 30 hours, (can't be sure) but has now got just under 50 hours on it.  Suspension definitely needed grease, and rear wheel bearings are shot. 

Cheers.

The TRS linkage has similarities to the to the Montesa 315’s and 4rt’s. I think they use the same bearing size and bush set up. Both are nice to work on. The Beta’s and Gassers can be a little fiddly but ultimately they all do the same job

For bikes that have a rear suspension linkage in the usual place I don't think there's much difference in the time required to strip, clean/replace, lube and assemble. Each one tends to get easier after a few goes.

Amount of play and the frequency of maintenance are much harder questions. With new seals, bushes, bearings and marine grease on my Beta Evo it was still full of clean grease with no play 18 months later after riding roughly every other weekend. It goes downhill after that though when you just clean and repack with old parts to extend the life a bit it and it needs doing more frequently as everything starts to wear, once there's enough play to feel a tap/clunk when riding or any notchiness when disassembled it's time for new parts again. 

• Like 1