chest / back protector

NAD1

Given my looming years, tendency to fall off and inability to fix as well as I used to I'm looking at getting chest and back protection.

Looking at the protectors and how they work / are formed they all seem much of a muchness apart from pricing....

the Comas one looks great and only £59.99 whereas the Jitsie appears very similar and is £95

Anyone know if there is anything glaring that the Jitsie offers over the Comas one? 
(or suggest another alternative)

thanks  

While there more risk to the back and chest, I find shoulders and elbows often take more of the impact so I wear a top that protects all of these areas. The one I wear most is from Bliss Protection but it's around £160, I've got an older O'Neal one but it's back protection isn't as substantial (like the chest on the Jitsie), I don't really notice either when riding. The current O'Neal version looks better than the one I have but most companies that do cycling or motorbike protective kit do a full top. 

Hard to tell what chest protection the Comas one offers, I can only make out the back protector in the pics Jitsie looks like it covers a good area and also the kidneys - but it also looks like it's just embedded hard foam, only the back protector seems to be an insert.

• Like 1

There are some really light weight comfy full protection suits available these days, like totty says ^^^ that cover your shoulders and elbows in addition to back, chest and kidneys.

I have an Alpinestars (cost around £150) version that I use for enduro, its so light weight and comfy, I now also use it for trials, especially so if the terrain is hard and rocky. I also now wear decent knee protection (my knees are shot) to try and preserve them from further damage. Again if you get the decent ones you hardly notice you are wearing them, until you crash and they save your joints from impacts!

I think if possible go to an off road motorbike/cycle shop and try a few on. Its important they fit correctly to be comfy and also work correctly! I bought a Jitsie one offline a while back and selected the wrong size, although it was the one that was recommended for my build and size. I have since returned it for a better size fit, but to be honest I still prefer my Alpinestars enduro full armour one.   

• Like 1

I'd suggest looking at some of the MTB vests. I've been using a Troy Lee Designs 7850HW short sleeve protector for several years. It's light, flexible, covers the shoulders and not too warm being designed for people who pedal at least some of the time. The 7855 has long sleeve protection if you want. They aren't the cheapest bit of foam you'll find, but they do seem to work well.

I've had numerous "offs" that would have resulted in significant pain and bruising without this and got away pretty much unscathed. I've also had a couple of falls onto objects that have managed to get between the pads and hurt, but it's all a compromise.

I've also been using Dainese MTB knee pads for years - they stay put, give good protection and have lasted pretty well. I'll probably replace the elastic and the behind-the-knee mesh soon, but the pads themselves are going strong.

• Like 1