MPG/Ride Time Estimate

UG_ALLSTAR

Curious of the approximate mpg/ride time you guys get out of your 250-300cc trials bikes? I know it's a YMMV question but I'm just looking for some personal experience. I picked up a couple MSR 30oz fuel bottles to take on 10-15mi single track loops as most have recommended. 

Just trying to gauge if I should take both fuel bottles, maybe invest in a gorilla bag for fuel?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks 

Took a few trail rides on my 07 Montesa 4RT 250 and the best I ever got for miles was about 24.5 miles before having to use my fuel bottle (I did 27.8 miles total that day, sorry didn't check how much more fuel I used after adding the 1.5L bottle to the tank) I was in 4th most of the time and was able to ride in 5th somewhat often to get that and was almost never below 3rd. 

I doubt I would get that on my 2017 Montesa 300 RR and I would highly doubt I could on any 250-300 2T as even my daughters 08 Gas Gas 125 always needed fuel before my 4RT did on our family trail rides on the trials bikes. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I went riding last weekend and had no issues making loops. My longest loop was approx. 10miles and I still had plenty of gas when I got back to the truck to refuel, never touched my fuel bottles.

On another note, trials bikes are amazing machines, so much fun. My new TXT 300 makes my 21' TC 250 feel like a fat pig on trails. I don't know if I'll ever go back to riding my TC in the woods LOL.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Yeah, apart from the lack of a seat trials bikes are like Easy Mode for single track :)

I hear it all the time already... "where's the seat". That's when I sit on the airbox cover and say "right here" 🤣.

• Haha 1

I wonder how close that was to my 4RT trip, I want to say I was getting close to around 6-7 mph on average once you factor in the really slow/technical sections.  I wonder if your 300 has a larger tank to get that range or maybe I was in lower gears more than I thought? 

Sounds like a fun ride!

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

Stock tank atm, I believe it's 2.4L. I found the contact tank that will add an additional 1.2L but @$280 I can wait til after the holidays.

I used stock gearing for that ride 10/39. I tried 11/39 around the house and gears felt too tall but I'm going to try it on some single track anyway. I'm spending a lot of time in 3rd/4th gear on the gasser so I'm hoping this will allow more use of 1st/2nd.

Ride was super fun. I got jousted off my bike by a branch at one point. Luckily I walked away ok 😁/

I have a fresh set of Cycra Pro Bend guards I'm installing on the txt. Branches and twigs keep grabbing my front brake lever.

• Like 1

Ya my 07 4RT has a 2.0L tank so that extra .4 looks like it helps out a bit, and I forgot about gearing I was up 3 in the rear at the time so between the tank size and gearing that would make sense. 

Hope the contact tank works out well for you and I would expect that 11/39 to work out well for the kind of riding your doing with it for sure.  Hope it keeps being fun. 

• Like 1

That extra half liter def. helps out. You guys were right on the money at 1 liter/hr. I think I got a little better mpg from the type of riding I was doing. I tend to be the tail of the pack anyway so I ride at my own pace.

Here's a part of loop last weekend.

• Like 2