Knee pads / Braces

Cliff43

Hi,

I'm planning to pick up my first trials bike tomorrow, super excited.

I've done MX for many years and wear knee braces due to 2 ACL recons on my left knee.
Just getting peoples opinion of if people think I should wear my MX braces for Trials, i'd prefer not to as I feel they'll be bulky but if people think ACL injury is high risk on trials like it is with MX I will do,

I also do DH mountain biking and have no issues not wearing my braces for that

Thanks in advance

I find it to be beneficial for raising my confidence level when I'm riding a dirt bike.

Actually, I recommend you wear them for all your events. The bigger the risk, the more potential for a desired outcome and greater sense of accomplishment and satisfaction with yourself and those around you!

It's totally ok to push yourself as hard as you can now because you'll never know how strong your limitations are until they're tested. Therefore, if we only live once, why not push past our comfort zones or boundaries? If everything works out as planned then that's fantastic! But what do we have to lose by taking an adventurous chance that leads us into something unexpected? A lot of people talk about how important it is to take risks in life. Have more protection and can take more risk.

Lots of people don't wear them for trials, but gaining popularity in our Snowflake world. MX ones tend to be a bit cumbersome, so a halfway house could be stretchy pull on MTB ones. Jitsie ones are OK too. Chances are you'll be crashing a fair bit while riding up the learning curve. 

• Dislike 1

I wear my Asterisk Cell braces for trials as well as on the dirt bike. They don't restrict me in any noticeable way.

My son (who is bloody good) wears Ossur CTIs for trials, Enduro, MX, snow bikes etc etc.

If you've got them, I'd say wear them. They aren't doing you any good in your cupboard at home

Nothing to do with being a 'snowflake' pjw123, it is to do with common sense - why would anyone want to risk further knee injuries if they are preventable?

Edit. Whoops, your response was posted while I was typing.

Edited by Cee-B
  • Like 2

Definitely wear them. I did my ACL, MCL and pcl simultaneously on my trials bike. I haven't competed since but still ride weekly. I now wear mobius Moto X knee braces as not only do they protect ligaments but offer good patella and upper tibial protection from impacts. I brace both my good and bad knees. 

18 hours ago, pjw123 said:

Lots of people don't wear them for trials, but gaining popularity in our Snowflake world. MX ones tend to be a bit cumbersome, so a halfway house could be stretchy pull on MTB ones. Jitsie ones are OK too. Chances are you'll be crashing a fair bit while riding up the learning curve. 

I'm assuming you don't bother with boots, helmet, gloves, ball ends on levers, folding footrest etc 😆

I tore my medial knee ligament when a big dab went wrong at 70+ my doctor told me to stop doing silly things after advice from this Forum i bought a pair of Ossur CTI braces i,m riding regularly with no problems they are a bit expensive but are worth every penny.