198B model year production differences...?

iconic558

It is nearly impossible to get a clue what was mounted to 199b models after Bultaco went in bankrupty. From there on the bikes were build as a social program for the reminding workers of Bultaco that did not found a job after the factory had closed it doors. Instead they workes got a corner at the Derbi factory nearbywith a pile of parts to put together what was left. 

I know that might sound harsh but that is how it went. 

Better 199b model bikes with a good and more consistent quality were those build in the beginning of 1981 until October of 1981 as they all really wanted that the Bultaco factory would stay alive.

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 1

Think you'll find Iconic558 was taking 198 not 199... but I'm not sure it makes much difference. I have a 198b that's very close to the end of the production run according to the chassis/engine numbers (which match) and it is a direct copy of the catalogue bike with one exception, the fork bottoms only have room for one seal in the lip...

I have seen and heard of 198 b's that are a real mix of what ever was around at the time but remember they are 40 years old so some of the rebuilt ones are likely to be more  "correct" than anything that ever came out of the factory :) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, iconic558 said:

Title says it all really.....or more a case of what was lying around in the p*** and panic before they closed up shop? 

Many thanks guys, stay safe

I don't think any record of this will exist, given the small amount made they were probably all assembled around the same time anyway. From what I remember the only variances are bottom fork legs with one or two seals and some not being drilled for pinch bolts on the brake side. A bracket on the down tube on some, triangular alloy head steady on some and a mix of alloy or steel brake and clutch arms. All this can app;y to both 340 and 250 though. As mentioned above some 340 escaped with tapered forks, not sure whether this happened on the 250 as well. Some, maybe all 250 had a small Pursang type weight on the crank, clutch side but still with single row chain, not duplex (mine is like this)

Then there are the half dozen that were 6 speed for France - I know this is a big debate as to whether it happened or not, someone has posted on facebook with pictures that they have one. It isn't hard (for a machinist) to adapt a 5 speed case to take the 6 speed cluster, so no reason it couldn't have happened at the factory, or they could have used 250 Frontera 6 speed cases. I have a 199B that has a 5 speed casing modified to take the 6 speed gears

• Like 2

Just to add to the pot, my 199A is a possible factory built bista bike. It has the old style tapered top yoke and the motor and frame numbers don't match but are only off by 4 digits.

I realize the top yoke could have been changed over the years, but I find it odd that the motor is some sort of dealer replacement being that close to the frame numbers and was  more likely done at the factory. Maybe it was built on a Friday after lunch lol.

• Like 1

There is no big differences in production manners at Bultaco for the last model. 

The engine hasn't been changed between the 198a and 198b, it is the chassis that is different between the a and b model and identical between the 198b and 199b and here the same mods where done to the 270 250cc models during the production run from the early b's to the later ones as I know and have followed.

Edited by pschrauber
spelling issues as usual ...
  • Like 2