Finding the right bike

Cutter

Hello, I’m new to the forum and don’t even have a bike yet. I need some veteran help from you guys in regard to finding the right set up. I live in Bend, OR and have access to public land from my house with a few hundred of miles of single track, open clear cuts with boulders and small canyons with plenty of obstacles to make you go - damn i need a trials bike. I ride a 05 KTM 400 exc and absolutely love it. There’s no question trials riding helps immensely with your performance on a dirt bike and that’s partially the reason I’m attracted to trials. I’m 6’4” 235lbs, grew up riding dirt bikes from a 50cc on up. My gpas good friend had an old gas gas that i played around on a few times when i was 12 or so - 28 now so essentially no real trials experience. I stand up most of the time when i ride so that should translate well. Always been a trail rider, no mx. once i find a bike I assume I’ll need to do risers/taller bars. any tallish riders out there with advice on comfortable set up? I don’t want to buy new unless you convince me otherwise. Winter is here so i have time to find the right bike, but just want to know what bikes you think i should be looking for. 2 stroke or 4 stroke?model years? Brands? Previously had great experience putting want-to-buy ads on Craigslist, so maybe I’ll try that. There’s not a ton used trials for sale - but i know they are out there.. somewhere. Sorry for the long one, but i figure more information the better if I’m asking for advice. 

please, inundate me with info, opinions, facts, whatever. Thanks in advance! Cheers 

• Like 1

Given your weight, experience, and locale, any ~2000 or newer 250 2 stroke from one of the main manufacturers would be good (Gasgas, Sherco, Montesa, Beta), with a slow throttle.  Usually I say always start on a 125, however on mountain trails they struggle with anyone over 200lbs on a long climb.

Condition is more important than age (eg. my '99 Sherco is in better condition than some 2 year old bikes) but be prepared to do a full top-to-bottom service on any used bike.  Buy carefully, there's a lot of ragged-out heaps for sale.

With your height you might want to get taller bars rather than bar risers, just bear in mind that you may have to get longer hoses and throttle cable if it's by more than an inch or so ... you might need to experiment here, different things work for different people!

One last tip, remember that trials bikes have a limited range, if you want to go deep into the mountains you might want something like a 4Ride, Alp, or Pampera instead ;)

• Like 3

At your size I would also recommend a 250 as a good starting bike for size with what your talking about.  If your fine with a 2T bike you will have a little better time finding used but if you really want a 4T bike then Montesa or Beta are the only option with most of the Beta 4T's being 300's but they would be fine for you I am sure. 

I would also agree that taller bars are a better way to go if you don't like stock bar height but would suggest doing what you can to bring them only up as much as needed.  If you go to high on the bars it will mess with the lever point and make it harder to ride the bike the way they are deigned to be ridden.  There is a sweat spot that is really important to hit if you want the bike to perform correctly when learning to ride over larger stuff. 

Last and most important, even if your not intending to do competition trials I would highly recommend getting in touch with your nearest club and going for a few rides with them a few times so you can get some basic exposure to pure trials riding as they can help you wtih initial bike setup and other basics that will make your over all experience that much better. 

Good luck! :thumbup:

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 3

Sometimes just finding a bike around here is easier than finding the right bike. Maybe find a bike in good mechanical condition, as carl ekblom said parts/dealer support is a big bonus. In my experience the right bike will eventually find you, they ship them over the pond every year!

I'm 6'1 and have not had to rise the bars on my Gasser, I did roll them forward a bit. Watch out, these skinny bikes are a lot of fun and very addictive!

• Like 1

Similar to OP I'm new to trials bikes but have been riding for 29yrs. I purchased my TXT 300 for the purpose of trail riding because I already have a "big bike".

Some things I've learned.

Taller bars help for trail rides. They bring the bars up so you're not leaning into them as much. Since the pegs on a trials bike are further back you tend to lean into the handlebars more. This creates the "hunch" in your back. Keeping your knees bent and chin up go a long way in keeping good posture throughout your ride. Either way it's a killer core workout. Longest ride for me so far was 2.8hrs

A well supported pack is a must, 2 strap backpacks flop around and you're going to be moving your body a lot more on a trials bike.

Carry a fuel bottle on long rides

Gearing is very close ratio until you hit OD.

300's have massive torque/pull, a 250 is likely the optimal bike for most.