Montesa Cota 247 gearbox oil change question

Niro

Hello,

I'm trying for the first time to change the gearbox oil in my 1970 Cota 247.

I opened the fill plug and remove the drain plug, but only a few drops of oil came out. I tilted the bike but no oil came out. 

Am I missing something? is there a breather for the gearbox oil? engine number 21M2067

Thanks. 

It cross my mind. But is it possible for the gear to work without oil? I took the bike for 2 rides and I was able to change the gears with no issue. 

One thing I notice- I couldn't put the gear back in Neutral while the bike is idle and stoped. 

It's quite possible that the oil has leaked out over time through the casing  joints, while the gearbox would continue to function. In fact this isn't really unusual in old bikes which haven't been maintained much.

I'd just fill with the correct amount (300ml) and check how much drains out after two or three rides.

Sometimes oil doesn't drain out because there is thick sludge in the bottom of the gearbox. Try poking something through the drain hole to see if that is why no oil came out.

Another thing to consider is that your bike has two gearbox compartments that are separate. You should also change the oil in the second compartment.

Can you please point me to the second gearbox compartment? I looked again in the manual and couldn't spot any,  Unless you meant the clutch box oil. 

I will try the poking method to see if something is clogged inside. 

Thanks. 

Hi  just a thought ,  possible. oil was drained out for winter storage , ,  or. ,, does it leek oil , or blow oil out vent near rear sprocket , , my m73 has vent near rear sprocket   A breather vent for crankcase ,  and was blowing oil  when the rings ,  crank seals went out  , it was stored many years ,  in cold  , and froze , but the cylinder was pickled , , it’s apart for future rebuild , cheers