Hello from Hampshire

HOOKYH

Hi, new member from near Winchester, UK. 

Rode Trials for 5 years from age 11 then went onto Grasstrack, Speedway and MotoX. Now aged 60 and been racing flat track for a few years and loving it. 

Just considering getting an Electric Motion (a cheap one!) so I can get more bike time locally and maybe even the odd trial. 

EM's are quite different than a petrol bike, especially in the wet. They need a different technique because of how the engine spins up with so much torque. Their battery life is very good (5.7 and Pure). Excellent for mucking about on.

• Like 1

Do have a 1976 Sherpa 350 I'm rebuilding too which will be more what I'm used to. 

Just thinking that I could use the EM more often locally without complaints. So long since I rode trials I won't actually know any better how it feels than a modern petrol engine 🤞

I have an EM ePure Race, and I love it. Definitely better than a petrol bike. For you especially, without any preconceptions of how to ride a trials bike, it would work well.

You mentioned "cheap". The ePure only came out in 2020 so you won't find one that fits my definition of cheap. I don't know much about the earlier bikes but I did have a short ride on one back in the summer. It had a lot less power than mine, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Handling seemed much the same. Like any secondhand bike, you need to check condition carefully. No 1 will be battery charging and range. But on the other hand you don't need to worry about carburation, ignition, cooling system, gearbox or exhaust.

23 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

I have an EM ePure Race, and I love it. Definitely better than a petrol bike. For you especially, without any preconceptions of how to ride a trials bike, it would work well.

You mentioned "cheap". The ePure only came out in 2020 so you won't find one that fits my definition of cheap. I don't know much about the earlier bikes but I did have a short ride on one back in the summer. It had a lot less power than mine, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Handling seemed much the same. Like any secondhand bike, you need to check condition carefully. No 1 will be battery charging and range. But on the other hand you don't need to worry about carburation, ignition, cooling system, gearbox or exhaust.

I've been looking at 2016/ 2017 bikes as I can't justify spending 6 or £7k on what will be mainly a toy rather than a competition bike. Hopefully half that will buy something decent and leave enough to run the race bikes 🙂

20 hours ago, mick annick said:

Join Alton Club, a lovely bunch of people

I'm sure they are, yet to be involved with a motorcycle club where they weren't to be honest. Will probably join Waltham Chase if I decide to do the odd trial as they are the club I rode with as a kid and also Hut Hill which they still use a lot is only a 10 minute drive for me.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I found a tidy 2016 EM at sensible money and have had a couple of plays on it now. 

Has to be said that I've barely ever ridden a modern trials bike so can't really compare it to anything newer than a mid 70s Bultaco Sherpa. 

However I have been really impressed so far. The bike is a lot better than me and better than I am ever likely to be at my age. There are 3 settings plus 2 maps which seem to control the throttle response for each, it is very mild on the lowest one with my near 14 stone on it. The middle setting with the fastest response map is my favourite so far. The highest setting makes more torque than any bike I've ever ridden right off the bottom, unbelievable response and too much for me so far. 

The throttle seems to have a slight delay from fully off, bit like a throttle cable with too much play in it.  Battery life is superb, two of us playing for nearly 2 hours today and it's not showing any lost charge. Very happy with it and already have a local farmer letting me ride a piece of land whenever I want which was the whole idea. 

On 12/31/2021 at 6:40 PM, HOOKYH said:

Well I found a tidy 2016 EM at sensible money and have had a couple of plays on it now. 

Has to be said that I've barely ever ridden a modern trials bike so can't really compare it to anything newer than a mid 70s Bultaco Sherpa. 

However I have been really impressed so far. The bike is a lot better than me and better than I am ever likely to be at my age. There are 3 settings plus 2 maps which seem to control the throttle response for each, it is very mild on the lowest one with my near 14 stone on it. The middle setting with the fastest response map is my favourite so far. The highest setting makes more torque than any bike I've ever ridden right off the bottom, unbelievable response and too much for me so far. 

The throttle seems to have a slight delay from fully off, bit like a throttle cable with too much play in it.  Battery life is superb, two of us playing for nearly 2 hours today and it's not showing any lost charge. Very happy with it and already have a local farmer letting me ride a piece of land whenever I want which was the whole idea. 

Really pleased for you. Welcome to the club.

If you have the same twistgrip as the ePure, then the free play is adjustable. You'll find the how-to video on https://www.electric-motion.fr/en/my-em-en/instruction-videos. It's No 18.

36 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

If you have the same twistgrip as the ePure, then the free play is adjustable. You'll find the how-to video on https://www.electric-motion.fr/en/my-em-en/instruction-videos. It's No 18.

I'll be out in the workshop having a look in about 2 minutes 😄

Thank you

On 1/2/2022 at 11:44 AM, trapezeartist said:

Yep works the same and can't test it yet but I'll bet my life it transforms it from good to spot on 😁

It did, made life so much easier not having that play, didn't realise how much you use the throttle to balance on tight turns. 

Edited by HOOKYH
  • Like 1