Removing Old Solidified Gas?

mcman56

I have an old aluminium gas tank that looks like it was not used for many years.  I poured out some stinky gas, filled with fresh gas and shook it periodical for a couple of weeks to clean it out. After draining and drying, I can see sort of a layer of solidified gas lining some of the bottom.  The petcock must have had a slow leak because it is covered with what looks more like dried tree sap than dried gas.  Are there any solvents that will remove this?  A non hazardous one would be nice but not required. 

I can also see that there are a couple of pin holes close together.  Has anyone had luck with using epoxy to spot treat pin holes?

you could try acetone. I have used it on carburetors that have been sitting with dried two stroke petrol for 40 odd years, and it worked. Not quite black sap level of crud. If you do try acetone, I would think the same procedure as you did with petrol would be the go.

I have recently restored a '70s Honda TL250, (ali tank) and its tank looked like it had a coating of some sort in it, (Black/ dark brown in colour ), I thought it may have been a sealant or protective coating (it was all over the inner surface to some degree) so washed it out with petrol as you did and left it. So far no problems.

• Like 1

Old type paint stripper would probably do it, worth trying acetone as mentioned above or new-type brake cleaner first though since they're less toxic.

Regarding the pinholes, if patched with epoxy you run the risk of getting more rust under where it's applied and ending up with a bigger problem - IMO it's worth properly welding if you have the option

11 hours ago, still trying said:

you could try acetone. I have used it on carburetors that have been sitting with dried two stroke petrol for 40 odd years, and it worked. Not quite black sap level of crud. If you do try acetone, I would think the same procedure as you did with petrol would be the go.

I have recently restored a '70s Honda TL250, (ali tank) and its tank looked like it had a coating of some sort in it, (Black/ dark brown in colour ), I thought it may have been a sealant or protective coating (it was all over the inner surface to some degree) so washed it out with petrol as you did and left it. So far no problems.

This is also a TL250.  Out of curiosity, what carb do you run on your TL250?  This bike came to me with no carb and there do not seem to be any great options.  OEM is not available.  OKO is larger and does not seem to fit with stock air box.  I often ride in very dusty condition so really want to keep the stock air box.  I have a Mikuni VM and Delorto 26 mm but they are also pretty long plus have large entrance mouths like the OKO.  China reproductions of an original Keihin 22 are 24 are available but I wonder how they work.  I would also have to adapt from flange to spigot mount but that is doable.