Experience with Chinese Keihin Copies?

mcman56

Does anyone have experience with the Chinese Keihin copies of 22 and/ or 24 mm size for TLR200s or similar?  Is there a brand to recommend?

I'm looking for something to run on a TL250 with stock air box.  Most other carbs are bigger.

Edited by mcman56
add detail

I have a showroom condition 1992 Wr 200 Yamaha. These were only imported to usa for one year.. 95 octane engine, has a counterbalance in engine !! powder coated frame- sprung & valved for my height- the list goes on & on. The bike came with a Mikuni TM 30mm ss power jet carb. Rare indeed. The slides coating was worn in several areas. Not able to find an oem slide. So- surfed E-Bay. Found a lawn mower dealer back east in usa. He had this China copy. $50.00 usd.   Bought it.  parcel arrived. The carb body castings were top shelf quality. The supplied fuel & vent hoses were not so good. The slide was PERFECT !! measured it. The slides cut away was same as factory ! I am one lucky dog !  This bike is worth 3-to 3.5 k.in usa. I only used the slide, installed it on the oem carb. This is one sweet mount for putt & explore mode riding. Yamaha should sell them agan. This 200 will walk the dog on a kdx 200-220. And hang dead even with a 2021 beta 200 in a drag race.   bit of trivia-- yamaha invented the power valve. this wr was a first.

WR 200  & spank 001.JPG

• Like 3

I have 2 TLR 250's & have a Taiwanese copy & they work very well ! Taiwanese is a lot better quality than mainland china !  They start easily, will idle for as long as you want & have good power to throttle opening feel, i really can't fault them !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eagle8 said:

I have 2 TLR 250's & have a Taiwanese copy & they work very well ! Taiwanese is a lot better quality than mainland china !  They start easily, will idle for as long as you want & have good power to throttle opening feel, i really can't fault them !

Thanks for the info but how can you be sure to get a Taiwanese version?  Do you run a 22 mm or 24 mm?  Did you find a spigot mount carb or adapt a flange mount type?  How did you adapt?  Sorry for so many questions but it seems difficult to find something that will fit with the stock air box.    

Edited by mcman56
add detail

8 hours ago, mcman56 said:

Thanks for the info but how can you be sure to get a Taiwanese version?  Do you run a 22 mm or 24 mm?  Did you find a spigot mount carb or adapt a flange mount type?  How did you adapt?  Sorry for so many questions but it seems difficult to find something that will fit with the stock air box.    

The copy i run are a very good copy of the original 22mm Keihen, you can swap jets, floats,gaskets etc, so it fits straight in, i did buy an oko, but the throttle cable & spigot for the inlet side just didn't look right to me, plus you would have to make an airbox.

The copy runs very well & suppl,lies great power, plus i don't have to make new bits & pieces, i run a fast Domino throttle, another bonus is any Honda genuine or after market throttle cable fits :)   I bought both my carbies off ebay & it says where the part was made.

On 12/16/2021 at 3:01 AM, magnapoxy said:

I have a showroom condition 1992 Wr 200 Yamaha. These were only imported to usa for one year.. 95 octane engine, has a counterbalance in engine !! powder coated frame- sprung & valved for my height- the list goes on & on. The bike came with a Mikuni TM 30mm ss power jet carb. Rare indeed. The slides coating was worn in several areas. Not able to find an oem slide. So- surfed E-Bay. Found a lawn mower dealer back east in usa. He had this China copy. $50.00 usd.   Bought it.  parcel arrived. The carb body castings were top shelf quality. The supplied fuel & vent hoses were not so good. The slide was PERFECT !! measured it. The slides cut away was same as factory ! I am one lucky dog !  This bike is worth 3-to 3.5 k.in usa. I only used the slide, installed it on the oem carb. This is one sweet mount for putt & explore mode riding. Yamaha should sell them agan. This 200 will walk the dog on a kdx 200-220. And hang dead even with a 2021 beta 200 in a drag race.   bit of trivia-- yamaha invented the power valve. this wr was a first.

WR 200  & spank 001.JPG

In Australia Yamaha fitted minimalist road rego equipment and gained approval for road registration. I rode my 1996 model until 2002 and absolutely loved it. It was a very capable bike for racing and exploring and was totally reliable. The power curve was amazing (no steps and plenty of go at all revs). With the standard exhaust it was so quiet I had many close up encounters with emus and kangaroos who had not heard me approaching.

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2021 at 7:00 PM, eagle8 said:

Did you have to do any tuning to get them to work correctly?  I now have my TL250 running with a china copy but it stumbles and wants to stall just off of idle.  It runs fine above that rpm and at idle.  It is very throttle position specific and stumbles just as the slide lifts.  I'm guessing it is throttle slide cut away.  However, I do have just the slide from the OEM slide and the OEM has a larger cut away than the copy.  If this is the issue, it seems opposite from what I would expect.  The chamfering is a little different so that may explain.  I'm not sure how to proceed.  

Everything on the copy is basically the same as the standard 1, the only thing i could see that was different, was it didn't have the shroud around the main jet. it ran perfectly straight out of the box :)

Troubleshooting further, I did notice a little black smoke at the stumble spot so it was in fact rich.  Increasing the slide cut away from 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm like the OEM TL250 carb has eliminated the issue.  When looking on line how to cut the slide, I found nothing so will pass on how I did it.  See pics. If you are good at doing things by eye, it would be much simpler to use a file.

Slide Mod3s.JPG

Slide Mod2s.JPG

• Like 2