200 vs 300: the dilemma

JonM

Thanks to everybody.

I know this is incredibly subjective and what started out as 200 v 300 for a trials novice (albeit familiar with other bike sport) has evolved!

Sounds like a 200 is forgiving, great on tricky stuff in the mud but can be frustrating compared to more forgiving larger capacity bikes (especially when grip is there).

I understand a bike's behaviour is affected by many variables & gearing, timing, throttle tubes, flywheel weights, low comp heads, thick base gaskets etc can all be used to 'tune' but arguably if this was the solution then we'd all ride 300's- just with bolt on parts. That's not the case and I don't want to force a square peg in a round hole. 

I would love to experiment and try different bikes, but every change of bike costs money and inevitably whatever you buy needs money invested. 

I've decided the Beta Evo 200 isn't for me (thanks to help in this thread) and I've fitted new Michelins which are certainly softer, just from squeezing the knobs with my fingers.

If I still don't get on with the 300 I'll try a 250, probably TRS from what I'm reading. Tractable power for the muddy South of England!

• Like 4