Trials bike buying advice .

RockSteady

So here I am contemplating another bike. 2 years back I had my workshop broken into and my bikes stolen. My main ride was a KTM SXF 350 and I had a li'l Beta Rev3 250 2007 for messing about on. I incidentally got the Beta back after it had been dumped (it was a bit rough to be fair) however after retrieval I left it in my van over night to have it nicked again and that was 3 weeks later after the 1st theft hmmmm something fishy going on there me thinks. Anyhoo Vowed I wouldn't ride or buy a bike again!!

Well my 'vow' isn't holding water, 2 years on and I'm feeling like ive lost a limb and am starting to look at trials bikes. My experience with trials is very limited I had a TY175 back in the mid eighties and a beat up Beta years later. My MX, enduro, hare & hounds days are over and so I'm looking to just pootle about on a trials bike maybe at places like Cowm quarry, nothing serious.

So I have been looking at a few bikes here's a look see into what I have in mind so any thoughts or definite stay clear of's welcome.-

EDIT-  I'm going to wait out for a Gasser 250/300 . Been researching TRS, Vertigo and the other Brand/models mentioned but GG keeps jumping out at me. I have seen a 2019 'TXT GP' on the market at the moment for 4k but the google search of the seller doesn't bode well and has made me nervous of the deal. So I'm going to wait for the right bike the right price and the right dealer. 

Thanks to all for their input.

GasGas TXT pro 300 2012

Scorpa SCT 250/300 2021

Scorpa sct 300 2016

Sherco Cabestany 300 2013  X

Any help or advice would greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

RockSteady

Edited by RockSteady

They look mostly 300s... 300s can be too much for clubmen in a tight trial setting, but if you're just going to use it to beat about then it will probably be ok. Id stay away from the 2013 sherco, most didnt run the best back in the day with the pump carb.

Edited by faussy

44 minutes ago, faussy said:

They look mostly 300s... 300s can be too much for clubmen in a tight trial setting, but if you're just going to use it to beat about then it will probably be ok. Id stay away from the 2013 sherco, most didnt run the best back in the day with the pump carb.

Cheers faussy, 

I wont be entering any comp's etc I'll just mucking about on it . When I had a 250 Beta it was a bit gutless to be honest. I'm 6'2 and 'broad'  so thats why im thinking a 300. I'm more used to 350-450 MX bikes.

RockSteady

Edited by RockSteady

Fair enough. If you like blasting up hills at Cowm then a 300 would probably suit you best. Im biased towards GG, but id say use your judgement on condition, theres not much to choose between them all. 

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, totty79 said:

300 GG is lively for a trials bike, but it'll still feel gutless compared to 350-450 MX bikes and it's not just the motor the suspension, brakes, cooling, tyres etc aren't built for speed.

Thanks Totty,

The beta 250 I had was 'ok' but was missing something , I'm not after speed these days. It's not to say I wouldn't consider a 250. It's 2022 , I'm open minded 😉,  As Faussy has said the extra zip of a 300 for steep climbs will be handy and I wont be doing too much tight stuff . 

Not too concerned about the year either just a healthy bike for the right price i.e a good Gasser 250 2012 at say £2300.50 and i'd be interested .I just need something to get out and scratch that itch, I miss the banter etc.

RockSteady

Edited by RockSteady

If you're not getting into the tight and technical it's pretty pointless buying a trials bike, that is what they are built for, not blasting up hill climbs. That aside I would be buying a Scorpa out of that lot, UK back up and parts availability is fantastic and the bike is also great to ride.

22 hours ago, compactpete said:

If you're not getting into the tight and technical it's pretty pointless buying a trials bike, that is what they are built for, not blasting up hill climbs. That aside I would be buying a Scorpa out of that lot, UK back up and parts availability is fantastic and the bike is also great to ride.

Too be honest not really, I'm past the 'snobbery' in motor sport, its up to me really what I 'Like' to do and likewise none of my business what you get up to that makes you happy. Alot of people trail ride on trials bikes its nothing new. Been riding 45 years so i kinda know what floats my boat and my capabilities with the injuries I have and circumstances. Don't mean to be prickly if it comes across that way.

Yes the Scorpa is a good choice I think and really pinging on my radar . Any known major issues with a Scorpa Compactpete? cheers.

Edited by RockSteady

I'm going to wait out for a Gasser 250/300 . Been researching TRS, Vertigo and the other Brand/models mentioned but GG keeps jumping out at me. I have seen a 2019 GG 'TXT GP' on the market at the moment for 4k but the google search of the seller doesn't fill me with confidence and has made me skittish with dealing with them. So I'm going to wait for the right bike the right price and the right dealer. 

Thanks to all for their input and thank you for your time.

RockSteady

If you want lively go for a GG300 that has not had a low comp head fitted. They're too much for use in trails sections for many riders so may be the closest to what you're looking for, and for trials they're nice with a low comp head so you might see a few with one fitted. The 250 is more lively than a Beta but not by that much.

I wouldn't write off the advice that it's pointless buying a trials bike for anything other than the tight and technical as snobbery though, there's a lot of truth in it.

On 1/10/2022 at 4:07 PM, RockSteady said:

Too be honest not really, I'm past the 'snobbery' in motor sport, its up to me really what I 'Like' to do and likewise none of my business what you get up to that makes you happy. Alot of people trail ride on trials bikes its nothing new. Been riding 45 years so i kinda know what floats my boat and my capabilities with the injuries I have and circumstances. Don't mean to be prickly if it comes across that way.

Yes the Scorpa is a good choice I think and really pinging on my radar . Any known major issues with a Scorpa Compactpete? cheers.

No offence taken. The beauty of the trials community is that advice tends to be given on the basis of personal experience and the desire to see someone enjoying the sport on the correct bike rather than any financial gain, and that includes most good dealers 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had big enduro bikes most of my life . 

Recently bought a Beta Evo 300 . Great bike , great fun . You can ride it just off idle in any gear , loads of torque and nice and light .

Another guy I met was similar background to myself , a big guy and on a 125 , think he's doing better than me with the trials . Whether it's his bike or him I don't know , but it was food for thought at the time . The Beta 300 is a nice bike though .