new owner new quirks ?

mark h

so bought a combat 300 and it seems a pig to start not at all like the description on vertigo uk website plus the kick start seems to have a very short throw and turns past 90 degrees when positioning for a kick so your foot slips off at the bottom of the stroke !

any advice on starting would be welcome i did have a 06 gasgas that you had to surprise to get it to start lol  

I have had a lot of problems with mine, but that seems solved by now.

A certain starting technique seems necessary. Cold : 1st kick full throttle, second kick half, after that no or little throttle. When warm little or no throttle and keep the throttle in 1 position. Once used to it it's no problem.

The injection systeem must have good pressure from the fuel pump. Clogged filter, bad hoses worn pump are all things that makes things worse.

The older bikes had the battery, I'm not familiar with that. 

The older ones also use an other type electronics, the newer ones (2018 and up??) Have the GET ECU. The GET u can read and even adjust. The older ones are a pain and not really supported anymore. The update is a lot of work and expensive.

Way to long story 🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mark h said:

so bought a combat 300 and it seems a pig to start not at all like the description on vertigo uk website plus the kick start seems to have a very short throw and turns past 90 degrees when positioning for a kick so your foot slips off at the bottom of the stroke !

any advice on starting would be welcome i did have a 06 gasgas that you had to surprise to get it to start lol  

The Vertigo uses the same kick start gear design as the Gas Gas Pro motor does. You have to get it right to the top of the stroke, to get a full engagement. Half kicks do very little with this design.

If you had trouble starting a 2006 Gas Gas, it's not surprising that a Vertigo is hard too.

12 hours ago, Robonthemoor said:

Im just buying a 2018 vertigo 300cc am I doing the right thing? will watch this post with interest.What years is  yours? One thing I've been told is that a BPMR4A spark plug help!!

its an 18 will report back after thursday once i've ridden it properly

• Like 1

The kickstart gear can lose its first  tooth over time. This reduces the engagement and does not allow you to give the bike the required full kick. Its not a difficult repair but probably worth a trip to a dealer if you're not sure. Have a look in your gearbox oil when you change it,  you may find the missing tooth. If you do, don't bother putting it under your pillow. (Spoiler Alert) There are no such thing as fairies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1