finally pulling the trigger 200, 250, 280?

ses601

hello everyone, mx rider for decades here excited to finally pull the trigger and begin my trials life! i knew this day would eventually come, and i am very close to it - i have a few options that (i think) are reasonable to someone entering the scene and that would last me years....evo 200, txt 250 and 280???...this will be a new purchase, 6'1 and 185-190 lbs

all input is greatly appreciated, feel free to fiire away!

Edited by ses601
  • Like 1

Good decision to start your trials life mate! To be honest i think you should try them if you can and see what suits you best, a beta 200 is a cracking bike to start trials on but then again as you're coming from a mx background you might want more grunt. I haven't ridden the latest gasser so can't speak from experience but I'm sure they're decent. I ride the latest Beta myself, am on about my fifth one now and I love 'em. There's a reason they're so popular...

• Like 1

i agree, trying them out would be the best option. i dont yet know anyone in the scene, and i am a couple hours from the nearest club. if i can get the chance to try different bikes, i am mainly curious if i would be able to run the bigger bikes at lower rpms and still get a smooth feel at slower beginner speeds? thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Like 1

I started off on GasGas TXT 280 and right off the bat it needed smaller front sprocket and flywheel weight. Evo 200 is ideal starter bike, though even the 11/42 stock gearing seemed a bit tall for me, since I'm carrying 25-30 pounds more than you, so I like 10/42 or 10/43 gearing. My Evo 300 certainly has plenty of grunt, and I prefer 9/43 gearing (over stock 10/42) but adding a heavier SS Flywheel certainly tames the bike down. I prefer 2nd gear or even 3rd gear for bigger hills when riding sections on the 300.

• Like 1

By ‘new purchase’ do you mean brand new ? If so I’m sure any potential supplying dealer would be happy to let you have a play on a selection of their used bikes (assuming they have a suitable site) or they may even run a try out/test day. They could also give you some advice & help in making the selection, so make a day of it. Welcome to the wonderful world of trials, but be warned - it’s harder than it looks ! So many ex racers & crossers think it’s a step down like semi retirement 🙄. Forget your mx skills, apart from knowing what the controls are it’s a different game altogether. Enjoy, it’s great 😊 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wheelieman14 said:

I started off on GasGas TXT 280 and right off the bat it needed smaller front sprocket and flywheel weight. Evo 200 is ideal starter bike, though even the 11/42 stock gearing seemed a bit tall for me, since I'm carrying 25-30 pounds more than you, so I like 10/42 or 10/43 gearing. My Evo 300 certainly has plenty of grunt, and I prefer 9/43 gearing (over stock 10/42) but adding a heavier SS Flywheel certainly tames the bike down. I prefer 2nd gear or even 3rd gear for bigger hills when riding sections on the 300.

thanks for the gearing tips!!!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, feetupsbetter said:

By ‘new purchase’ do you mean brand new ? If so I’m sure any potential supplying dealer would be happy to let you have a play on a selection of their used bikes (assuming they have a suitable site) or they may even run a try out/test day. They could also give you some advice & help in making the selection, so make a day of it. Welcome to the wonderful world of trials, but be warned - it’s harder than it looks ! So many ex racers & crossers think it’s a step down like semi retirement 🙄. Forget your mx skills, apart from knowing what the controls are it’s a different game altogether. Enjoy, it’s great 😊 

yup, i did mean brand new. i am ready and willing to learn, no matter how long the process will take haha i have been waiting to jump into it for a long time, and i am absolutely sure trials will stick with me for as long as i can ride 😁

• Like 2

I've just tried a 250 vertigo, 2021 tonight, you have to get on one,,, my god its,,, well if I say speciel I'm under selling it,  thoroughbred, Perazzi in the gun-world, please just try one. Im an old  Moto crosser, 250cc & 750cc.  I would say that 250cc vertigo had more controllable power Than a 300cc 4 stroke Beta , and I love my sons Beta, he had a go too, He was amazed, how do they do that Ive no idea, I would say a 2021 vertigo is 3 years in-front.  If I'm wrong you can slag me off in public. Just speak with the guys who have vertical, they have all had differant bikes.  

Edited by Robonthemoor

I also have mx/enduro background and am eager to learn trials.

We have plenty (trial) bikes at home and so I have ridden a few.

In the beginning we had a 250 4stroke, I didn't like it, neither my girlfriend. I also do not like 4t on mx/enduro. The power is for me more difficult to control. The rear wheel slips more easily. 

I like my girlfriend's 125 in the beginning because it's so light, but the shortage of power and being very picky with gears makes that it's not favorite for me anymore.

My Vertigo R1 300 is very favorite, I just love the bike, unfortunately it's mostly under the knife so I had to take an old beta rev3 270. The old Beta does not respond precise to the throttle wich makes things hard. I never had the idea the Vertigo haves to much power, it's so friendly. But the dealer told lately that it might turned in to a 250......

I would definitely go for a 250 or 300. But I do not understand the whole 200 thing. But I also ride mostly on sand and not on British clay.....

2 hours ago, Robonthemoor said:

I've just tried a 250 vertigo, 2021 tonight, you have to get on one,,, my god its,,, well if I say speciel I'm under selling it,  thoroughbred, Perazzi in the gun-world, please just try one. Im an old  Moto crosser, 250cc & 750cc.  I would say that 250cc vertigo had more controllable power Than a 300cc 4 stroke Beta , and I love my sons Beta, he had a go too, He was amazed, how do they do that Ive no idea, I would say a 2021 vertigo is 3 years in-front.  If I'm wrong you can slag me off in public. Just speak with the guys who have vertical, they have all had differant bikes.  

wow, that is impressive. so i guess i will be considering a vertigo as well 👍

1 hour ago, Tiewrap said:

I also have mx/enduro background and am eager to learn trials.

We have plenty (trial) bikes at home and so I have ridden a few.

In the beginning we had a 250 4stroke, I didn't like it, neither my girlfriend. I also do not like 4t on mx/enduro. The power is for me more difficult to control. The rear wheel slips more easily. 

I like my girlfriend's 125 in the beginning because it's so light, but the shortage of power and being very picky with gears makes that it's not favorite for me anymore.

My Vertigo R1 300 is very favorite, I just love the bike, unfortunately it's mostly under the knife so I had to take an old beta rev3 270. The old Beta does not respond precise to the throttle wich makes things hard. I never had the idea the Vertigo haves to much power, it's so friendly. But the dealer told lately that it might turned in to a 250......

I would definitely go for a 250 or 300. But I do not understand the whole 200 thing. But I also ride mostly on sand and not on British clay.....

i hear ya on the 2 stroke love, classic sound and feel that will never get old 💯 thanks for the suggestions!

Or have a taste of the future and go electric. The EMs have three maps: gentle, lively and oh-my-god! so you can always have the right sort of power for the rider and the conditions. I've never ridden a 200 but everyone says how good they are for novices. Otherwise, if you must have a stink-pot, don't go above 250. Unless you become a real expert, a 280/300 won't help with anything a 250 can't do but they can get you into a whole heap of trouble.

2 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Or have a taste of the future and go electric. The EMs have three maps: gentle, lively and oh-my-god! so you can always have the right sort of power for the rider and the conditions. I've never ridden a 200 but everyone says how good they are for novices. Otherwise, if you must have a stink-pot, don't go above 250. Unless you become a real expert, a 280/300 won't help with anything a 250 can't do but they can get you into a whole heap of trouble.

i never even thought of electric. i did ride an electric alta mx bike, and it was amazingly smooth and felt light despite its heavy weight 🤯 

23 hours ago, ses601 said:

i never even thought of electric. i did ride an electric alta mx bike, and it was amazingly smooth and felt light despite its heavy weight 🤯 

EMs weigh about the same as a Montesa, so at the top of the range but not excessive. Remember ICE bike weights are quoted "dry", so add the weight of coolant, gearbox oil and fuel to get a real comparison.

• Like 1