EVO 300 fuel consumption?

bikerpet

I've got a 2020 EVO 300 with about 200 hours on it, always had an inline fuel filter and air filter cleaned and oiled frequently.

Recently I started having an issue with it getting an erratic idle. It seemed like the idle would rise after a long hard climb (say 500m to 1km). It would also rise on long descents. Performance otherwise was just fine, nice crisp response over the whole throttle/rev range.

I removed the carb and thoroughly cleaned (including removing the jet tower) and blew out all orifices, checked vents, checked float height and needle sealing. Also checked that fuel is not overflowing when the front is raised (lifted wheel ever higher until it overflowed). Problem remained pretty much the same.

Finally I realised that the rise in idle on descent particularly was due to running out of fuel in the tank. I tend to climb ever higher as I ride, then return back down at the end of the ride. Possibly my rides were getting a little longer, and also as my riding improves I'm using more power/revving harder and spending more time with the front in the air. This would somewhat explain the increase in fuel usage, but it doesn't feel like it fully explains it.

In the past I've monitored fuel usage over a number of tanks and it averaged a bit over 1.1L per hour. Yesterday I started to monitor current use and it came in around 1.8L/hour. This seems a fairly big jump (60%), but I've no idea if it's in the range that is "normal". Certainly it's getting annoying having to cut my rides short so I can get back home again - yesterday I ran out on main, switched to reserve and headed home - ran out as I pulled into the shed. I was only about 2km or so from home when I went to reserve.

Does anyone else have any figures for their EVO 300 fuel consumption?

I would change out the jet tower oring with one from an OKO. It is much thicker, and the stock one shrinks. If you have lots of time to waste there is several you tubes of how to check if the jet tower leaks. Good luck. The Beta should get farther on a tank over other brands.It has the largest modern capacity. Should make about 25 miles.

Edited by lineaway
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 3:45 AM, lineaway said:

I would change out the jet tower oring with one from an OKO. It is much thicker, and the stock one shrinks. If you have lots of time to waste there is several you tubes of how to check if the jet tower leaks. Good luck. The Beta should get farther on a tank over other brands.It has the largest modern capacity. Should make about 25 miles.

Morning Lineaway would you have a link on where to get the bigger OKO oring?

Thanks