125 and 200 for grown ups vs 250/290?

gavin

just out of sheer curiosity what are peoples views on 125 and 200cc bikes for grown ups?

long and short is that i grew up riding trials and a few years ago came back to it with a beta 270 and now a 2010 sherco 290, although i havnt ridden for 2 years due to all the covid issues.

i'm 55, about 12'ish stone (76kg/168lbs) and only out to have fun in local club events, i ride novice.

i'm now looking to sell my sherco and trade up to a slightly newer bike, something around 2015. i like the 290 but it is a handful, i was wondering about getting a 250 but lately i've been wondering if a 125 sherco might be a better bike for me, i would say the beta 200 would be perfect but i do not like left side kickstarts.

anyone got any views, experience or advice?

I've ridden 125 and 200, would advise that either is easily up to the job, in fact more fun to ride in many situations.

Don't think of them as low powered or more suitable for youngsters. They're trials bikes, and very good ones.

Also, there's no rule that says a left side kick start must be used with the left foot. I had no problems with my Beta either starting with left foot or standing alongside using right.

Edited by cleanorbust

Unless you have a knee problem or something, don't dismiss left-hand kickstarts: it's just a matter of what you are used to. When I first got my Beta it seemed a bit awkward but I quickly accustomed to it. Anyway, if the ground was sloping to the right I would stand beside the bike and use my right leg.

Edited by trapezeartist
Dodgy keyboard
  • Like 2

My 2 cents worth...  Even at ~205lbs/93kg I have had a lot of fun on a 125 so ya they can be great for adults.  I would say at your size even more so.  If you really like the idea of a 200 but don't want the left side kick maybe a Vertigo 200 could be a good choice?  Have chatted with a few people that have them and they seem to love them as much as anyone I have seen with the Beta 200's. 

What ever you go with I am sure will be great and good luck making the call on 125/200 and/or brand!

Edited by jonnyc21

200 pound newbie here on a Beta 200. Absolute goldilocks bike as far as I am concerned. I got a chance to ride a 125 and it was just a bit too high strung for me. The 300 was way too susceptible to whiskey throttle. I didn't get a chance to ride a 250 yet, maybe that is also a good size. But the 200 has more than enough for clubman type riders. I know a few intermediate riders on them and they love the size too. I just don't think anything larger than 200 is necessary unless you are at elevation or already doing massive splatters. 

• Like 1

I started on a TXTPro 125, and I'm about 180lbs, it was absolutely perfect to start on - enough power, but not too much, just stick it in 1st for most sections and get around with some more revs when needed.  I have a Sherco 250 now and it's ok I guess, but I don't need or use the power it has ... my TY175 is about right, but that's a different flavour of bike all together.

One thing most people don't mention, a 125 is easier to kick in than a 250, which I like a lot when it's near the end of the day and I've already fished the bike out of mud a bazillion times!

It really depends what your doing.

I like the light and nimble feeling of a 125, but difficult with climbs and very picky with gears. I have an Vertigo 300(or 250) and love the reaction of the throttle and how precise the power comes. The old Beta 270 we have is a lot more difficult.