Reliable low maintenance bike

TimDH

Currently have a 4Rt which I've lost all confidence in brake wise so I'm looking for another brand.

I don't want to be fettling all the time but I've no idea what would be a good choice.

Budget isn't an issue and I'm excluding GasGas as they are frankly rubbish quality.

There was some past issues with burs in the brake masters on some of the older Braktech systems maybe you just got unlucky and have one that is eating up your seals?   Not a 4RT issue but a braktech one if that is the issue. PS. unless you have an older AJP based system most if not all of the current trials brands use the same brake systems so really can't get away from that without replacing with old stock AJP. 

Edited by jonnyc21

7 hours ago, magnapoxy said:

If it has wheels or a skirt, There will be troubles. Its best to learn to work on your own motorcycle. brakes are very easy to maintain & repair. just saying----

A quick search of this forum suggest otherwise,just saying 🤣

8 hours ago, magnapoxy said:

If it has wheels or a skirt, There will be troubles. Its best to learn to work on your own motorcycle. brakes are very easy to maintain & repair. just saying----

Give up trials and become celibate would be my advice.

Any bike ridden in water and mud will need regular maintenance mainly to brakes and bearings, it's unavoidable.

I also don't buy into carbs being high maintenance, I've needed to clean them once or twice at most in the last 10 years. Keep the fuel clean and the air filter properly oiled and they don't cause problems.

Carbs are o.k. by me.  Its a good idea to use a slintered bronze inline fuel filter between petcock & carb inlet. Also, the 2 upper vent hoses on carbs are just that. Vent hoses. Its a good idea to not have these 2 upper hoses hanging below the engine. Yes, when you tip over they will spill gasoline. but its better to have these hoses above carb. End of hoses turned downwards. 2 small fuel filters used for large gasoline r-c race cars on ends of these 2 vent hoses helps greatly.  

2 hours ago, magnapoxy said:

Carbs are o.k. by me.  Its a good idea to use a slintered bronze inline fuel filter between petcock & carb inlet. Also, the 2 upper vent hoses on carbs are just that. Vent hoses. Its a good idea to not have these 2 upper hoses hanging below the engine. Yes, when you tip over they will spill gasoline. but its better to have these hoses above carb. End of hoses turned downwards. 2 small fuel filters used for large gasoline r-c race cars on ends of these 2 vent hoses helps greatly.  

Please expand, new theory to me.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:36 PM, TimDH said:

Currently have a 4Rt which I've lost all confidence in brake wise so I'm looking for another brand.

I don't want to be fettling all the time but I've no idea what would be a good choice.

Budget isn't an issue and I'm excluding GasGas as they are frankly rubbish quality.

Perhaps you could e more specific about your brake issues and then someone could guide you towards a simpler solution.

After reading the title of your post I was going to suggest an electric bike (no carburettor, no air filter, no ignition system, no radiator, no fan, no exhaust, no gearbox). But they do have brakes (🙂) which will be just as reliable or unreliable as on your 4RT.

2 hours ago, b40rt said:

Please expand, new theory to me.

these 2 upper hose fittings are vents. as fuel in bowl is used these admit air into the carb.  if the ends of these 2 hoses are under the bike- if you cross deep H2O and give a big handfull of throttle these hoses can pull H2O into the carbs throttle slide area, go into the engine.  this fact also applies to fine trail dust also. The filters on ends of hoses are to keep some of the dust out if you are riding in a total cloud of dust, and they will help keep H2O out if you use a pressure washer on bike.  

• Thanks 1