Reliable low maintenance bike

TimDH

On 1/29/2022 at 7:36 PM, TimDH said:

Currently have a 4Rt which I've lost all confidence in brake wise so I'm looking for another brand.

I don't want to be fettling all the time but I've no idea what would be a good choice.

Budget isn't an issue and I'm excluding GasGas as they are frankly rubbish quality.

Just buy some AJP calipers and master cylinders from the earlier 250 4RT version (2005-2012/13) if you are riding a 260 4RT model

Never had an issue with AJP brakes, plus there is a multitude of Nissin options from H&D or that man in Spain, for later 4RT's

Edited by johnnyboxer

17 hours ago, magnapoxy said:

My advice to you is to not have such a smart mouth when a member is joking & suggesting to learn how to repair a simple brake issue--   

I assume you're the resident forum troll,every forum has one.

You're sorrt are best ignored I think.

Edited by TimDH

6 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

Just buy some AJP calipers and master cylinders from the earlier 250 4RT version (2005-2012/13) if you are riding a 260 4RT model

Never had an issue with AJP brakes, plus there is a multitude of Nissin options from H&D or that man in Spain, for later 4RT's

Mine has AJP brakes.

I'd still like somebody to suggest the most reliable modern manufacturer though,somebody must have a decent model.

I would have to suggest that all mainstream brands are reliable, I would have no problem riding any modern bike way out into the woods. Fuel capacity is the only thing to hold these modern bikes back and that can be solved mostly with a few fuel bottles. I have never been stranded on any of my bikes, broken clutch cable once, not stranded, took the easy way back to the truck.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TimDH said:

I'd still like somebody to suggest the most reliable modern manufacturer though,somebody must have a decent model.

I think you're asking the impossible. All modern bikes are reliable, in the sense that they rarely break down. If you get yourself stranded, it's far more likely to be because you broke something.

All modern bikes also have a few niggles at times. Conventional wisdom says that Montesas are the ones that give you "Honda quality", although the Montesa sub-forum seems to show as many problems as other manufacturers. Typical problems across all makes are bleeding brakes, thermostat failure, dodgy ignition.

Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. If you have a good bike with a single problem (which it seems you probably have), solve that problem. Ask in the relevant sub-forum for specific advice.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, section swept said:

Oh dear, and only 17 posts and its looking decidedly problematical. 

I was thinking he same thing !     I think this nice gentlemanshould not call gas-gas brand trash.  They have a new factory. with ktm-s help they will be around long time i hope.  TimDH should just go and buy a 3 wheeled tricycle. one with handle bar grips that have baby doll heads on the ends of the grips-- custom !!    He did say in his 1st post that $$$ was no issue after all ---

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/1/2022 at 2:53 AM, TimDH said:

Mine has AJP brakes.

If it's a contest for reliability without performing maintenance, I would vote for the 4RT.

If it's a contest for the bike that will let you ride in the most competitions, then I'd vote for whichever one has the best after-sales support where you live because riding in trials you are going to break things.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, magnapoxy said:

I think this nice gentlemanshould not call gas-gas brand trash.  

My thoughts exactly, asks for opinions, yet has the opinion gasgas are rubbish, while probably having never owned one

Edited by faussy
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, UG_ALLSTAR said:

Am I missing something? Can anyone elaborate on this....

Elaborate on budge not an issue or Gas Gas being rubbish?  I think the budget one is clear so...

Gas Gas is well known to having had more issues with things like the transmission, water pump, kick start gears, and a few other things than most other brands and a good number of the issues cause the case to need to be split.  The newer bikes are a lot better but even then when they are used hard they still are more prone to having issues than some of the more robust models available. 

I make this statement based on a combination of experience with my daughters Gas Gas, some friends with them as well as others I know well who I trust who have had them in the past. 

Even then, its just my 2 cents so take it for what its worth. 

• Thanks 1